Sunday, March 13, 2011

I love my horse

Yucky March is here in full force now and has temporarily restricted where we can go. There is so much water, mud and sloppy snow - yuck! At least it is a sure sign of good things to come! Linus is such a heavy shedder. From day to day you would think he doesn't get groomed! We spent most of the last week just working in his paddock on ground manners and lightly practicing lunging. I really only use lunging as more of a drive him away from me tool when he is acting out. We prefer getting our exercise from our jaunts.
He tried to test his boundaries when my Dad came over to visit with us (and of course share some cheezies with Linus). He was good for a while then started getting pushy. I used the carrot stick to drive him away and then he put on a big bucking and rearing performance. I didn't flinch, I know he isn't going to come after me. When he came down I drove him away again and kept it up until he dropped his head and chewed. I stood my ground and let him come up to me and then rubbed him between the eyes. We were great from then on.
I decided today to finally get him out and off of the farm. The trail running parallel to the farm wasn't in bad condition. I worked him a bit in the pasture and then ground drove him. Despite the extra spring in his step he was a very good listener today and we had a pleasant but tiring outing. The snow was heavy and wet. He wasn't bothered much by it. I've noticed when things get tougher Linus kicks it up a gear and keeps going. He seems to have a great work ethic. Such a sweet change for me from my previous horse. Mickey was a darling but putting a saddle on a fence post and going for a ride provided the same enthusiasm! He definitely preferred life as a pasture ornament.
Back to Linus. He was very funny when we crossed the snowbank to get down the trail. Last year you could not get him across a snowbank to save your life (or his!) this year though he loves snowbanks and whatever else isn't flat, level road! He sniffed it then plunged into it and had even more spring to his step going up the trail. The last wind storm we had knocked a couple of logs across the trail. They were still there so I thought they would make a great obstacle for us. The first one Linus stopped and sniffed then tried to turn around. He listens SO much better now when I correct him and straightens back out much better than before. He used to turn right around and face me. I clucked to him and over he went. It apparently looked massive to him. He could have walked over it but cleared it with plenty of room to spare! I laughed and we headed for the next one which turned out to be 2 on top of each other. He gave it a good inspection and hopped over it with barely enough effort to clear it. I guess the novelty wore off! I actually had to stop him this time for me to have a break by the time we got through the second field. The snow was so heavy in places. I was walking a bit longer than normal because it was easier to stay in the tracks Linus made. Needless to say I got a great workout today!
Something about the expression in the photo is so funny! I think it was taken mid snuffle or mid chew


This was taken on our way up the trail. You can see the other log further in the distance.



This was on our way back and this is the second log(s). Very worthy of quite the inspection! Ok because it gave me time to take a picture. I had to get a new phone and it has a much better camera on it!
Linus and I are in the market now for a new buggy. Ours sold and will be going this weekend. The fit was just not working for us anymore and it was better to let it go. I didn't think it would go so fast but that's ok. We have plenty to keep us busy until we get a new one!
OH I almost forgot; when my Dad was over visiting he also told me he could not believe how tall Linus was getting (seems to be a common comment lately) but more so while Linus was doing some prancing around Dad made a wonderful comment about him. I will alter it slightly since I should not include the same words he did... "$@#% is ever turning into a nice horse". I was beaming! And not just because I already knew that : )

Look what I remembered:
Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, ON Canada

7 comments:

  1. What a nice report on your day, Donna! I am glad you signed your post - I didn't know you are in Ontario!
    I have a couple of questions for you - how old is Linus? Is he coming two this year? He is a lucky young horse to be getting so much experience with you. Is he a smooth coated Curly? He doesn't look really curly so I was just wondering - I have had a few s/c and I really love them.
    Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Shelly, we are in Eastern Ontario. About an hour south east of Ottawa.
    Linus is a coming 2 year old. He will be 2 in May. Yes he is smooth coated. When it rains he gets a few curls in the sides of his tail! lol We got a curly because my husband is very allergic to horses and my Dad usually reacts to them too if he is around them too long. I do all of the work with Linus but it is nice to be able to have them around him too and not react. In the future I would like to get one for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, for what it is worth, some people say that the smooth coated Curlies are some of the most hypoallergenic of them all! I can't say from personal experience though as my daughter doesn't react to any Curlies of any curl type. However, my smooth coated mare Gracie (now deceased), no one ever had a reaction to her and many tried her out.
    I think it is truly awesome that you have him and he is going to be such a great horse for you - do you know his pedigree? I am just curious...
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Shelly, he is turning into quite a guy. But he has had oodles of personality from Day 1. Here is the link for his pedigree:
    http://www.curlyhorses.info/Pedigree.asp?u=5933
    if it doesn't work let me know and I can just type it in here. Or if you search the Curly Horse Pedigree Database, his full name is HCH Make My Day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Dad's comment! And no wonder you love your horse, what's not to love? Your new camera takes great pictures and brings out the beautiful RED of Linus' coat. AhD is 14.2 hands. How tall is Linus now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your reports of you working with Linus! I agree with Susan that the pictures look great and of course Linus looks great. What kind of buggy are you going to have for Linus?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan last time I measured him he was 14.1
    Jessica I am looking for a 2 wheeled cart. I think that style will be easier for him to learn to turn and they just seem to follow along nicer.

    ReplyDelete