Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Shedding has started

Today I did all the yielding exercises with Voelie again, she is a pro now at yielding her hindquarters! This goes really smoothly now:)
After that I tied her again for grooming. my goal now is to tie her at least once a week so that it becomes normal for her. Also to slowly increase the time she is tied and to ask more of her (also picking up her feet when she is tied etc.).
When I groomed her today I noticed that she now really started shedding, such a difference with yesterday! She really enjoyed it, the thick curls are really itchy for her I think. She loves the rubber massage brush best of all so I use it most of the time. The purpose of the gooming for me is not so much to get all the spots clean but to have her enjoy standing to be groomed so that standing tied is a positive and nice thing for her. She is being such a good girl and is standing nicely to be groomed. I am really impressed with her!

3 comments:

  1. Shedding is a sign that warmer weather is coming!! Marley is shedding out in gobs of hair as well. I am using a wide tooth hair comb on him that is plastic first to help get all the heavy stuff out, then go over him again with a rubber curry. He really enjoys getting that hair out as well. Give us folks a good upper body work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the "scotch comb" we use with showing/grooming beef cattle works really well on thick hair!!
    Jessica you sound so much more happy and confident with your progress with Voelie. Congrats, its great to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job working on your horse with being tied - there is probably nothing more important than being able to tie your horse and have it stand safely. And I am experiencing the shedding as well - tons and tons of hair. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete