Sunday, March 20, 2011

Our event at the ranch


Yesterday we had a fundraiser/Curly Horse promotion day at our farm. Vieuw after days and days of preparation getting organized and having everything under control we pulled it off. In the beginning of the week I was on the radio talking curly.

I am SO PROUD of my curlies it is unbelievable how great they all where!.
Freedom, Mallie, Lydiker and Moose where tied up next to my little “curly corner”.

I did not involved Kayla, she is very pregnant and still not comfortable around people she doesn’t know and I did not wanted her to get stressed.
I printed out all kind of information about curly horses, printed information about the curly horse rescue, curly fiber items and samples and played the DVD Denise made about the curlies.
We also did a colt starting demo with a natural horsemanship trainer who worked with Chris Cox. I “found” this guy just two weeks ago because he also does natural hoof trimming and trimmed our horses. He turned out to train horses too. He stayed with his horses at the farm for two days and did a great session with Mallie. She has not been ridden just had a lot of ground work on her. Within 14 minutes he was on her bareback me explaining to the crowd how sensitive she is but also extremely intelligent, and this was the perfect show about how curly’s think before the do something stupid (most of the time hihihi). After that he saddled here, worked her a little more and mounted her. He even walked, trot and loped her and she did GREAT. I was so proud of her!! She did so great and she loved it that was even more fantastic.



We had a lot of people and horses on the farm , the rescue brought 4 horses for adoption and we did pony rides for the kids, and had 2 pairs of big mules who did wagon rides.
Lydiker and Moose where tied up right at the entrance of the barn…..now here we have 2 colts side by side, 2 and 3 years old. Lots of things going on, children RUNNING in and out of the barn, petting them being under, behind, in front them. Strange horses in the stalls, things flying around since it was windy, and they both stand there like a statue. Everybody toughing their curls asking lots of questions and they both just stood there. The “horse people” could hardly believe they where colts, so young and so patients and quiet with the kids. Freedom and Mallie stole the show with their appearance, being beautiful just outside the barn. Even Freedom who normally can get very impatience being tied up stood there and soaked up all the attention.
Mallie seeing Lydiker and Moose close by (she is in a field out of sight of the boys) came in heat at the spot. Moose and Lydiker got a little excited but I took here somewhere else and they settled down again.
There was a lady who was so excited about the curlies she wanted to buy Moose on the spot. He is not ready to leave yet(IF I let him go).
At the end of the day we where exhausted (I still am) and when I turned all the horse out to the field Moose was asleep. He did not wanted to get up so I let him for a while and when he woke up turned him out.

I can say we had a VERY successful day. I was so busy I did not take much photos unfortunatly :-( The horse rescue had a great day we raised money for them and the curly horse is on the map in South central Kentucky. They all promoted themselves and I feel so blessed these horses entered my life, I cannot tell you how proud I am, but I think you know the feeling……..

Today we when on a trail ride. I took Freedom and the trainer and his wife their own horses they brought with them. Unfortunately that ended not so well. But Freedom…he was great. He started in his “I don’t want to go” mode, but when I made him go in front he was great. At one point we needed to turn and he got behind the horse of the wife a Tennessee walking mare and she kicked Freedom. Luckily she didn’t had shoes on so he was fine and…not discouraged about it. First moment of being proud of him. The owner however almost fell off and hurt her finger so we decided to head back. Then out of the blue the horse of the trainer spooked , I don’t know exactly what happened because it happened behind me but his horse took off without a rider and he was on the ground hit his head. I was afraid Freedom would take off too and follow the panicking horse but he didn’t he stayed with me…second moment being proud. Well the trainer hurt himself pretty bad but after a couple of hours they went home and he thought he will be fine. I hope so!! He was making jokes already so I made fun of him since he was making jokes about my curlies all evening at dinner last night. I said yep…ride a curly…better horses…*LOL* Freedom was great.

3 comments:

  1. lol, how true...a curly would have checked things out before spooking (if at all)...in most cases. All joking aside, way to go!!! you did a great job promoting this wonderful breed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog, Marion. I am so happy for you that your day went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Marion. I love your pictures also, your Curly corner looks so lovely and well decorated! Great job in promoting the breed!

    ReplyDelete