Monday, March 21, 2011

First Clinic of the Year - we we go.....

So, this last weekend was Traveler (my stallion's) and my first clinic of the year with Karen O'Neal. We have ridden and shown under her barn in the past - she is the top Area VII rider in Eventing. And apparently, due to a clerical error in the scheduling, Traveler and I were signed up to take the class with the Prelim riders. (Just kidding about the clerical error, although I think they had to fill the class and we were elected to make the numbers.) It was actually very flattering that she thought we would be able to at least attempt to hold our own in that setting.

So, needless to say, I was very nervous. Here I am, with my little scrappy "pony" and here they are with their 17 HH sleek, TBs. When I arrived and unloaded Traveler, one of the participants came over and told me she thought I was in the wrong class. I laughed it off and said that although I should be probably riding with the 8 year olds (and they are a tough bunch), I was scheduled to ride in this class.

Okay, so now, I am REALLY nervous. Then I rode into the arena and saw the height of the fences. I think I started hyperventilating..... (I am so not kidding.)

And Traveler, that scrappy, bold little boy of mine held his own. Now we weren't even close to perfect, but we had some good runs, he worked really hard and we received some compliments. That's about all I can ask for. Hey - and I didn't come off. Really can't ask for anything more.

For two days we worked on lead changes over the fences, cantering a serpentine with 6 fences and changing directions at the canter on the serpentine line, with correct leads, and getting the right amount of strides in between fences. Good grief. I was feeling like I skipped about 4 years of instruction.

It was really hard work for both Traveler and I, mentally and phsyically. At the end we jumped a couple of nice large fences and skinny roll-tops and he was so happy to not be jumping in a circle, that we sailed over them. Now, that is fun. All the more technical work is important and really helps them hone their skills, the real fun is galloping at a fence and sailing over it.

Next month, we meet for cross-country training, and that's where it is at - ditches, logs, houses and waterjumps.

And, at the end of the class - the same participant as I mentioned before, told me that I indeed, did not belong riding with the little kids. Traveler just takes them by such surprise, and then they realize his hind legs are like little coils.

This next weekend we head over for an endurance race and it should be fun for Traveler to get out, trot and canter a little bit and see the countryside. A nice change for him and something a little different to do. We plan on going out and sight seeting for 25 miles.

Tally-ho!

6 comments:

  1. awesome -- good for you !!! I am so impressed with all you do with your boy. I know what you mean when you are up against the sleek and mighty big guns... but you and your lovely mount held your own ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for challenging both yourself and Traveler! It sounds like so much fun, but I think it's way out of my league! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, I am totally impressed with you and Traveler! Way to go!!!!! You are so inspirational to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely do not give yourself enough credit!! You and Traveler are AMAZING!!! Way to show the "big guns" what these powerful Curlies can do - which seems to be everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that sounds like a challenging clinic! I know the feeling of riding a pony between large horses but it is so great that you showed them what a curly can do! Good luck with your endurance ride!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I just starting seriously jumping this year I can appreciate how difficult you clinic was! Jumping on a serpentine sounds tough! I think I'm not ready for that yet haha. I know that sometimes when we are pushed past our comfort zone we learn so much. It must have been a nice compliment to hear the same person come up to you and say that you belong, especially after what they said in the beginning. (BTW, we would all love pictures from this amazing clinic! LOL...or perhaps the next one??? :) )

    ReplyDelete