Monday, March 28, 2011

new things

Today I took Suri to walk over the rubber mat. She was not affraid of it at all but her steps are so big that she stepped over it instead of onto it. It took me a couple of tries to get her to take smaller steps so she would stand on the rubber mat but she did great. I love how curious she is, she likes to stick her nose into everything! We also started practicing around the tractor, it is a very old fassioned tractor and it makes lots of noise. She is ok with it when it's driving or standing still but everytime it starts up again it makes such a noise that it scares her:) But it scares most of the horses and I must say it does make too much noise, even for a tractor! With Voelie I practiced working on her head. She has always been a bit head shy, she is ok with me touching the sides of her head and near her eyes but working on her forehead or forelock is different. I brushed softly over her head and she was hesitant but allowed it. Then I started on her forelock, I have not been able to hand groom it so it was quite matted allready unfortunately. I worked quietly on parts of her forelock, mostly to have her get used to me working there but also to try and get some of the mats out. It was partially succesfull. She looks funny now with a part of here forelock being frizzy and part untouched. I will repeat the exercise more often and hope she gets used to it.

5 comments:

  1. Our tractor doesn't have a muffler on it and it is a 70's tractor as well and it freaks out all the horses too! With Marley and him shedding right now it seems like he is getting more matted than ever in his mane and forelock. I as well feel your pain in getting through it, little bit at a time! Good luck and keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a blast with your 2 girls. They are lucky to have you. Take full advantage of that noisy tractor!!! If they accept that, not much could be noisier that would spook them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slow and steady-- you will make lots of progress with your girls ! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the great work Jessica!!! In no time at all..you will have her getting the comb to do her mane...tail...and forelock!!!! Im am so excited for you guys!!!!! One day a time

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everybody. I agree with you Donna, if I can get my horses used to this tractor they will be fine with any kind of noisy traffic!

    ReplyDelete