Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sunday's Ride to the New Trail

~Susan and Didder in Maine~
The sap is running, and that means….warmer temperatures in which to ride! This handsome man makes dang good maple syrup (and his chili and baked beans are to-die-for). The weather was perfect for a late winter/early spring outing - not toasty, but not freezing either.

Kara joined us on trusty Alley, and we met some children sliding. Didder was a perfect gentleman. Once we left the children to their sliding again, OF COURSE we headed straight to the new trail to try it out.
Onto the plowed old county road
Past the logs and big skidders Ahd is always very suspicious of newly cut logs.
On to the pine-littered path
It was a beautiful day. Once in a while the sun would peek from behind a cloud and heat up the pine needles for a delightful smell. We had to pick our way carefully on the trail, around branches, icy spots, slick mud, etc, but Didder thought pine branches on the trail made for a tasty snack, so he didn't mind at all. AhD was On Alert heading out this time though, and when I could see a large animal blasting through the branches ahead just off the path, we decided that discretion was the better part of valor and turned around, in case it was not a deer. (We had passed a deer carcass which had been very recently chewed on.)
After our foray out on the new trail, we decided to head back near home to “test the waters” ~ frozen waters ~ of snow on Jason’s Loop. Yep, it was deep, but much softer than Saturday.
It felt so gooood to be out in the fresh air. Until next weekend ~

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to share the horses with kids who love to pet them! I used to watch from the yard if someone was riding by until I couldn't see them anymore! I love the scenery...riding through those trails with you is on my bucket list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! Donna, come on down!
    When I was little, during suppertime my Dad would sometimes fake seeing a horse go by on our road. When I jumped up and ran to the window, he would eat my hamburger. I remember crying once (and not over the hamburger, either!!!) and he never did it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Susan that so sounds like something I would have done...even now I check out whoever might be riding by!

    ReplyDelete