Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Our first ride!


Yesterday Tygs and I went over to our friend's house again for the third time. The last time he was rode but not by me because I wasn't feeling well. Yesterday I rode him! Yeah!

We started out by doing some groundwork. He's did try his little stunt of not going with him when we left the pasture to go onto the trailer, but I corrected him and he didn't do it again. His latest irritating thing is pawing. He's very impatient! As long as the trailer is moving he's fine, but otherwise he paws and paws and paws. If he's tied to the side of the trailer he's paws too. We've tried correcting him with a jerk of the halter, but it's not affecting him. I think I'll just have to tie him up until he gets the idea. Any other ideas are welcome!

After lunging him, we put the saddle on and lunged him again. He did very well. After that I got on. We're just using a rope halter at this point and working with him learning the leg cues and left and right. The first time riding him he kept wanting to back up, but yesterday he understood the left and right and forward and we purposely did the back up signal and he did everything! Granted it was slow, but he has figured it out! I'm very proud of him! We were supposed to go over today again, but I just got a call from work, so I guess I better go earn some horse money! Too bad I'm going to miss this glorious day!

Janeen and Tygs
Upper Peninsula of Michigan

7 comments:

  1. Wow Janeen, that is great, you're riding Tygs! I think he learns really fast, it seems I just read that you bought him only a short while ago and you allready tought him so much that you are starting to ride! That is great! With the nice weather coming up it will be great to do lots of riding with him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't get over what a pretty color he is. And from the first posts you have put on here you have really come a long way, good for you. As for the pawing, I have never done it but Clinton Anderson has something called a patience pole. Maybe others have other suggestions but that is one that came to the top of my head anyway. Just trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linus used to paw too, swinging a rope to keep him moving til he stops works well. I say to him "ok, you want to move, you can move until i say stop". When I see him calm down I quit swinging. If he starts pawing again, I start swinging again right away. The way it was explained to me was to make the wrong thing uncomfortable and the right thing comfortable. Also, just trying to help. What works for Linus might not work for Tygs. Lynn says it's all tools for the toolbox. Some work, some don't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First rides are hard and nerve wrecking - good job for doing it and getting it over with, each time it will become easier and easier. Sounds like your horse is really learning quickly and he looks very calm and relaxed in your picture. What a beautiful boy! I like Donna's suggestion for pawing - I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should be very proud of yourself !!
    Great job ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi!

    i am new here, but not new to horses. i had a stallion that used to paw terribly in a parked trailer. shaking, rattling and rolling the trailer. he didn't call or anything but the pawing was more than annoying. i started loading him at home and letting him stand in there. i would wait for him to start pawing, i was standing on the outside of the trailer. i would wait and wait. sometimes for a long time. then finally he would stop. i would immediate pop my head in, give him a treat or ask him to back out. then i would load him again. i would wait for him to start... usually i didn't have to wait long! again as soon as he was quiet, i would reward him. petting was high on his list too. then i would disappear and wait. his pawing stints got shorter and shorter until he stopped all together.

    i also had an arab mare that pawed terribly. i simply wrapped her front hooves in polo wraps. when she pawed it didn't make any noise. she stopped. i guess she was in it for the noise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea, Mindy, because I'm getting the impression Tygs is doing it for attention. As soon as I come near him he stops. I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete