Monday, March 7, 2011

A Jaunt in the Rain


~Susan and *RCR Ah-D-Das in Maine ~
Yes, rain, not snow for a big change. The weather conditions have been awful here lately (you'd think it was March in New England, gee whiz!) so when I had the window of opportunity early Sunday morning, I took it, rain or no rain. Trouble is, my Lab Grace saw us leaving and jumped the fence, so our first ride out was not very pleasant because I seemed to spend most of the time yelling at the independent dog. When I just couldn't stand her anymore, we went back home. I put Grace in a crate, and then Didder thought I was off my rocker...because off we were again, into the misty morning.The fog hanging over the hill was quite lovely, actually, and the rain took about a foot of the snow away. Still not enough to get onto the trails, but we should be able to attempt it in a week or two.
We worked on Didder's gaiting.
On the way home the second time, we spent quite a bit of time here, because I made the mistake of rushing Didder through it the first time. I don't know what it was that was bothering him through this section, but I don't have his senses. I relaxed, he stared. He sniffed my boot, we chatted, he moved forward a few steps...only to stiffen up and stare again. It was pouring by the time we had finished inching through here, but I was not about to rush him. It has finally sunk in through my thick skull that it takes the time it takes for him to feel comfortable, and I am just asking for trouble if I do not acknowledge his concerns. I am sure that we will be traveling veeerrrwwwy, verrwwwwy slowly through here on the next few rides as well, but that's okay by me.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pair you two make ..
    thick skulls and all :) Glad you were able to sneak out together. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Betsy I love your comment...I wish this was like facebook and you could "like" a comment.
    I know how you feel Susan about the dogs..I sometimes spend more time making sure they are not getting into trouble than I do making sure Linus doesn't get into trouble!
    Awesome post - I enjoy getting out in all weather too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dug down around the inside edges of the dog pen AGAIN to hopefully to avoid future naughty uninvited canine friends coming along for the ride.
    :)

    ReplyDelete