Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spring Break Fun (and work)










What a great week for a Spring Break! Bruce and I loaded up and headed to Chandler to play at the ranch. The weather was beautiful and Cody has a lot of fun stuff for the horses to play on/with. We are so excited about the April challenge, he thinks we can make this into a teeter-totter?





Bruce was fantastic as usual. I hadn't ridden him in a while and his whoa didn't work as well as I would have, but he really wanted to get out and move. I have about 4 saddles of my own, but still end up putting on the Tucker, my absolute favorite, to ride. I guess it is something that we are both used to and it is by far the most comfortable saddle I have.

We took the opportunity to wash all the mares and take pictures of them - it was hysterical trying to get them to stay away enough to take a picture of them. I think that this is a truly curly trait. We were laughing so hard after all the work we had done trying to get the Oklahoma red dirt off, then end up taking pics of them being loved on by us........



This is Little Miss Sunshine - she just couldn't stay away from her dad. She is beginning her training and is going to a professional trainer next week for some work. She has a very interesting color pattern. She is a very light sorrel appy with a black/grey mane and tail. Sunshine has done a great job getting started in saddle and I think that she will really do well. Every time we send a curly to the trainers, we are told how easy they are to work with:) It is still very dry here, and our trip to one of the ponds on the ranch really tells how much we need rain. Note the red dirt - it is clay and extremely hard to wash out of the white on the horses........... Bruce and I had fun going up and down the embankment!


Today we drove to Pawhuska, Oklahoma with a friend to a Senior Rodeo. It was the coolest thing and I met so many nice people. The minimum age is 40 and there was an 87 year old man that was team roping! Let's all hope we are doing that when we are that old. We rode up with a friend that has two beautiful, huge buckskins. He hadn't been in a rodeo in about 10 years and was "nervous as a schoolgirl."

The senior women's barrel event was incredible - these women were really great riders and had obviously been doing this for a long time:)
When we arrived, there was a huge hailstorm, and we had to run for cover with the horses - when I got home tonight, I hadn't one drop of rain on the property. Maybe next week?


Hugs to everyone and their horses, Adena







1 comment:

  1. It looks absolutely beautiful out your way. The red mud might mix with white hairs, but it makes a pretty landscape. Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete