Thursday, March 3, 2011

Endless winter - where the heck is spring?!

The weather was just SO cold last week that it was not worth going out there to do anything with horses.  Then, it warmed up enough to melt a bit and then froze overnight, THEN it snowed about 3 inches on top!  So that is my excuse for not even poking my nose out to go riding or working with horses, but that is changing now!

I did ride Kobee the other day, but only for about 15 minutes - I had someone interested in him, so I got him out and walked him around a bit, but it was so icy that we couldn't do anything but walk.  But today I took him to the indoor arena and I rode him for about an hour - I did not lunge him first, just hopped on and rode.  He was pretty good, but still a bit spooked about being in there by himself.  The arena owner brought her old TB in for a while and lunged her - the mare was jumping around a a bit and that got Kobee a bit excited, but we worked through it and he was good.  After she took the mare out, he was really good an listening well.

So a good ride - no pictures as I was there by myself and didn't bring the camera.  But tomorrow, Anastasia on Bijou and me on Tessa, we are going for a jumping lesson - it should be soooo much fun!  I have asked WSL to bring the camera, so hopefully pictures to share!
Until tomorrow!
Shelly in Wintery Summerland, BC Canada
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

4 comments:

  1. Shelly-
    I feel absolutely the same way. In the past week we have had a foot of snow then rain on top then cold weather just making it miserable out there. It is really hard to get motivated to do anything. Hopefully spring will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sory to hear the weather is still so cold.
    Good thing you have an indoor arena so you still can do something occasionaly.

    Kobee did well that's good, have fun at your jumping lesson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness you aren't in the area of BC that got that massive wind storm! At least you finally got out, it's so hard this time of year...never know what March will bring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun with the jumping lesson! I love jumping!
    I hope your weather gets better soon with less ice and snow!

    ReplyDelete