Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cody's no internet blog continued.....






Warrior Seeks Justice and Cody roping an H brace






2/18/11 Cleopatra walk trot lope.Shawmead same. Sunshine walk outside of round pen for the first time still needs a lot of training and desensitizing before ready to trot out in the open.
2/19/11 Cleo and Shawmead went to open show today Adena rode Shawmead in walk trot. I rode Cleo in walk trot took 4th; novice western pleasure took 2nd and 2nd in novice trail.
2/28/11 Rode Cleopatra in the pasture ponying a youngster and checking and repairing fence had to pull a dead tree of the fence. Used Justice to gather llamas and teaching him to turn the herd and settle them.
3/1/11 Used justice to push llamas into the big pasture I have to light a little fire under him to get him going however I like that because I can set the speed rather than trying to hold one back or lope him down. I also rode sunshine in the pasture for the first time we walked mostly; trotted her a few strides maybe 3 or 4 times. I didn’t realize my cow dog was following behind us, he likes to nip at her heels; once I saw him I realized why she was hesitating and had her ears pinned back.
3/8/11 Rode Justice today, every mare we have is in season and this young fella is having a hard time concentrating on his job, but he’s learning and behaving.
3/11/11 justice is doing a good job about pushing the llamas and working on roping I’m the problem now. It is kind of scary with all that’s going on with the horse running across the pasture keeping the horse tracking, having reins and rope in one hand and swinging the loop in the other. I almost got one today he ducked out at the last second. I stopped Justice to rebuild my loops and he started pawing wanting to get back to chasing them. I was really impressed. After we practiced roping I worked on his loping.


Warrior's Cleopatra after a bath


I rode Cleopatra today working on her loping and leads, afterwards we ponied Bling the coming 2 yo, I have only ponied her once before. I was impressed with her she kept slack in her lead line even when we were turning with her on the outside.
3/12/11 Rode sunshine in the pasture today she was hesitant about being alone but came around pretty good, all of the mares are starting to cycle so it’s actually good training for the stallion. Sunny wanted to keep fading towards the herd while circling and trotting in the pasture. I used the spurs with her for the first time, she wasn’t happy about it. I’m glad to finally have a little spat with her, when I’m starting colts I dread that first fight because you just don’t know what they will do. Once it’s done you get a much better idea about how they will react if they spook,etc.Rode Cleo worked on loping,trotting,ponying multiple horses(2) desensitizing with rope. Worked on roping upright of an h brace. Worked with Shawmead on trotting and loping, and roping upright. She is a little more concerned with a rope going by her head so I will work with her about fading away from the rope. I truly enjoy riding her it is like sitting in my favorite comfortable chair.
Shawmead

3/15/11 Rode Cleo in the pasture today, had used a really heavy snaffle on her last week however it was counterproductive because she started bracing her face and raising her head. I switched back to a light snaffle and had to lope her till she was tired for her to start relaxing her head and lowering. Loped and trotted justice and worked on roping today. I am spending more time with him and training him to be around hot mares and be a gentleman. He doesn’t call back to the girls when he is tied. I am very happy about this as I put off this training until this year. I Rode Sunshine today and worked on her circles and trotting also just walking straight without fading or zig zagging, she is still between the ditches but she is young and green.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Cody, you are kickin' butt! =] You sure have goregous curlies. Who is the dark bay at the bottom of the post. Shawmead? She is outstanding..love her build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many horses do you have? That's awesome you get to spend so much time with them! Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you, but you're handling it wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise ,thanks fr the comment the bay is shawmead.Thank you for the nice comment about her conform. I saw a nice picture of her as a yearling and just had to have her. I looked at that pictre for 6 months before I called Barb Carrol about her. We Purchased her and her mother in foal as a package deal.That is when we became familiar with the Warrior line. We purchased a stallion from Barb shortly afterwards. Those are the two grullas that I am riding.Justice and Cleopatra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janeen, thank you for the comment I know someone is reading my blog now.We have 13 horses 15 llamas 3 mini donkeys and several dogs. I am fortunate to be able to spend as much time as I do with them,However it is starting to feel like a job and that does take the fun out of it. I am not riding nearly as much as I did last year my heart just isn't in it at this point.

    ReplyDelete