Friday, March 25, 2011

Out for a walk

Today after grooming Suri I took her out on to the road, I led her through the gate and we explored everything along the driveway and then we went for a short walk. To get ready for the april challenge we started looking at the mailboxes (Dutch mailboxes are a bit different, we don't have flags on them and they are made of green plastic). Suri did not mind them at all so I'm sure that challenge will be a succes:)
Then a car (mini van) came towards us. As I wasn't sure how Suri would react I signalled him to go slow and walked in the middle of the road, this is usually enough to slow cars down and keep the situation safe, but this time it was a maniac driver who swerved from left to right over the road and did not slow down at all! He just passed us on the wrong side (really close to Suri)! I was really impressed because she did not mind at all and was really calm, so now I know she is good with cars.
All our groundwork so far is going really well and I am looking forward to having our first ride together.

4 comments:

  1. wauw looks like you are making a lot of progress! o you just spelled out one of the reasons I left the Netherlands. It is so hard to find a place to walk and train your horse without getting either hit by a car or something else. Good thing Suri was such a brave girl!

    Is her Sire Missouri Dream from Sweden? if so is she gaited? She is huge I mean 1.60 that's tall. I hope Freedom is not getting that big? my Spirit is also 1.60 and I am having a hard time mounting him LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marion, I know the traffic here is terrible sometimes and I live in the good part of the Netherlands (next to the Veluwe), for riding this offers lots of possibilities but before you go anywhere you do meet lots of traffic. Luckily most people are coniderate when you are out with a horse but unfortunately not everybody is!
    Suri's sire is indead Missouri Dream. Suri herself is not gaited. She is very tall indead but I am getting used to it allready (standing on my toes to bruch her back LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I'm glad you are alright! I've had some bad experience with bad drivers too :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man that is terrible! Good to hear she was calm and didn't mind although sometimes I think it would be funny if they kicked those cars and put a nice dent in them.

    ReplyDelete