Saturday, March 12, 2011

Off the Road!


We had such a good ride today! I couldn’t believe how warm it was, so even though the sky was dreary, I certainly didn’t feel that way, and neither did my beloved pony! The trails have packed snow about knee high, so we headed up Back Street. I led Didder back and forth around the “trouble area” from last week, but it didn’t really seem to be a problem. About a mile up the road, I noticed an old county road was cleared out, so we headed up that way, and then I was astonished to see that someone had PLOWED it!!! “???” is what I was thinking but I said a little prayer of thanks. Once we got a ways in, I had an “aha” moment because I spied two skidders and a log loader. So did AhD, and he didn’t like them much. We pranced by them, and headed on. We kept going and going, picking our way very carefully, and, wow, was I ever happy to see the loggers had created us a nice new trail! I did not have the camera today (it was home, needed for the results of an 8th grade science experiment), but I will take pictures to share tomorrow. It was beautiful! We turned around when we hit a serious sucky mud patch, and then enjoyed ourselves practicing gaiting on Back Street. I love it! He’s gaining! I researched AhD’s pedigree to see that his maternal grandfather and great-grandfather did a running walk, so combined with his fox-trotting sire, who knows what will turn up in his repertoire.

We did try a regular trail today, and trudged up a few hundred feet, but it was really hard work for Didder, so we will try for that next weekend.

5 comments:

  1. That last picture is so cute! :) Glad you were able to get our riding when the weather was warm. I always try to take advantage of that LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures...these curlies really love being off road don't they?! How tall is AhD Susan??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I'm gonna have to find you a real hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AhD is 14.2 - just the right height for a vertically challenged woman. Harold, make sure the hat is faded red, your favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it great that the weather is getting warmer! Good to hear you had such a nice ride and that his gaiting is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete