Monday, March 28, 2011

Getting Riding Season Ready



Good Morning All!! Hope everyone had a great weekend with their Curly Horses. I know that mine aren't really loving me all to much right now. Saturday we loaded up all our horses to go to a vaccination clinic in town. It was our first one that our vet had ever. It was nice to see all these horse people out and making sure their horses are staying healthy. We had all our horses examined to see if their teeth needed to be done along with getting all their vacincations and de-worming. Well Marley and Larry both needed their teeth done pretty badly. As you can see from the photo (Marley would hate me even more if he knew I posted this on here!) Marley is missing a few front teeth so in the gap where they are missing he needed those ground down a bit further. Larry just needed a general float of the teeth, he is only 6 this year and don't know that he has ever been done before. They both also got their area cleaned out too while being sedated being I don't have the guts to do it without them being sedated. Larry was pretty comical in the shoot, he kept his back legs crossed almost the whole time. The vet gave Larry a light dose of sedative and he reacted really well, acctually too well. And gave Marley an even lighter dose. Does anyone know that if sedatives affect curly's differently, that they can't take a heavy dose of it? I didn't know and had to ask. The place where the clinic was held was in a fairground building and they where setting up for the horse auction the next day so both me and my husband where promoting the curly breed, people came over and started talking to us and asking us questions about them while we waited around with them waiting for them to wake up enough to load and drive them safely home. Curly hair is definately a conversation starter! I got other pictures off my phone that I had planned on putting in here but they are so blurry of people petting them and standing next to them. Should have brought the regular camera! I do have one other question for you guys that are reading this. I am trying to get ready for the mini contest coming up and not finding any good bridge patterns online to make a bridge, anyone have something that I could use to see what I need to get to make one and the how to?

5 comments:

  1. Dear Dana,
    What I have personally seen is that the curly horses of the Damele/Mead line usually need a light dose of sedative. They do not usually need as much sedative as most other breeds. They seem to be like a halflinger in this way, needing less "dope." But there are exceptions to this "rule of thumb."
    Sincerely,
    Penny Johnson
    Curlies.wpjohnson.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. My web site should read: curlies.wpjohnson.net
    thank you,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pictures! I love it when people oooh and aaah over the curly coats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Penny for that information and your website. I will file that infomation away, till we need it again. I am glad that you could share.

    Susan I know what you mean I love to do nothing more but talk about my babies :) The best part is they still have some winter wool left but it is shedding quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for your vet to have a clinic like this. Great practice having the horses in a chute too!! We have one for the cows but fear of Linus panicking in it has kept me from showing it to him.

    ReplyDelete