Thursday, March 10, 2011

My first blog entry!




Hello, hello!
This is my first blog entry, so I figure I better introduce myself. My name is Courtney and my perlino Curly mare is Dusty Pearl. We currently live in San Diego, CA, but April 14th we will be making the big move up to Alaska which is my "homeland". I bought Dusty as an unbroke 7 year old and have been (slowly) training her. I have had Curlies since about 1998), but Dusty is by far the smartest one yet! Stubborn and moody, but smart as a whip so she is a lot of fun to work with. I really have not been able to put a lot of "serious" rides on her where I ask a lot of her, but today was very serious and productive. I did a TON of ground work with her, so I was super happy today when it only took her about 10 seconds to realize that the cue to turn on her haunches and turn on her forehand is exactly the same in the saddle as it was on the ground. She did so good in the arena today I think we will head out on the trails behind the barn tomorrow! I almost feel guilty attaching pictures since most of the US is still covered in snow, and we have green grass and tank top weather here in California. I guess I will soak it all in while I can before we take off for Alaska in 30something days :)

6 comments:

  1. Great to read your post! Your horse Dusty looks great! Such a cute face! It's great that she is so smart to understand your cues in the saddle are the same as on the ground, makes the training a lot easier that way! Looking forward to reading more about your rides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful country! You are right on saying bettern enjoy it while you still can :) Dusty has a really pretty coat I love all the waves in it! Looking forward to reading more of your posts too. Waiting to see you compairison when you get up to Alaska. Have a safe move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty Curly, pretty country! Yep, soak up that sunshine...are you crazy moving back to Alaska, or what? I flew to San Diego once for business and went from 3' high snowdrifts to flowers blooming and grass growing in ONE DAY. I will never forget it.
    I like the way you describe your Dusty's temperament; you must enjoy a challenge. ~ Susan and AhD buried in snow in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is very cute! I love double dilutes! She is built similar to my Tucker. The countryside is gorgeous, won't you share some?
    Kim in WA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to RAC Courtney! You have a beautiful Curly mare, and is that a blue eye I see!? Great pictures :)

    BTW, I can't believe you are moving to Alaska! So cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I am blessed to get to live in such a beautiful area....BUT it does not look like this in the summer, and although we get the ocean breeze most of the summer is too hot for my taste :( Basically winter here is my ideal "summer", and summer here is miserable unless you are at the beach. It will be fun to see how much more curly her coat gets in Alaska! I had 2 Curlies up there before I moved to the "lower 48" 12 years ago and they were like furry Yetis! Dusty is really going to look like a Yeti since she is so light colored hahaa :) Up there she will have no choice but to become an extreme trail riding horse (moose are a daily occurrence, and bears are frequent!). Thanks for the kind words :)

    ReplyDelete