Sunday, March 6, 2011

A lesson in patience and perseverence

Today I again took Voelie out or a walk. This time before we left we did all the yielding exercises (thanks for the link on the article Marion). Most of them were good but the yielding of the front legs (shoulder) is most difficult. She does move but we need to 'fine tune' the direction of her movement:)
After this we went out for the same walk along the road and through the park. Halfway the driveway I almost gave up. She kept doing one step and then stopping for a while. We were going really slow and I was getting impatient. I wanted to go back but decided I should stick to my plan and be patient no matter how long it takes. It was nice weather so I decided to focus on enjoying being outside:) So all the way to the park I was constantly pulling Voelie. I ended up walking backwards in front of her (facing her) about half the time and sometimes she walked a few steps and I was next to her again. But most importantly, we reached the park eventually! There before the spot where she had been rearing up the last two days I repeated all the yielding exercises with her and then continued, no rearing up this time!! She was nervous but ok. After we passed the 'problem spot' I let her graze for a bit. Then we continued our walk. We met dogs (very scary but also interesting) and people walking. Then we came to a spot where teenagers were hanging out with music and drinking beer, I had forgotten this place is always bussy when the weather is nice in the weekends. I myself don't feel comfortable passing such crowds but I also did not want to turn around because Voelie all the time wants to turn around and she might get the wrong idea so I decided to pass the crowd with Voelie. She was really brave about it and walked nicely next to me! We met more bikes on the way back and she was speeding up again on the way home. I did make her slow down several times but she was still a bit too exited to go back so I kept walking passed the driveway. She was so surprised and kept looking back at the driveway as if she wanted to tell me "you missed our exit!!" really funny. Then I turned around and passed the driveway again, I did this a couple of times until I decided to go back in the driveway.
It was good because a lesson for me in patience and perseverence was rewarded and we had a good walk! Still a lot to learn for both of us but we'll get there:)

2 comments:

  1. Good for you sticking with it - not always easy, but bit by bit she will get it!
    Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, EXCELLENT JOB, GOOD FOR YOU!!! It is hard to keep your wits about you when your horse is bound and determined to test you.

    ReplyDelete