Friday, March 4, 2011

Beautiful Day in New Hampshire

Despite the narrowness of the roads and icy conditions, Miss D and I were able to get out for about an hour or so today. It's finally staying light enough to get home and squeeze in a quick ride before dark. Although it doesn't look like spring (with so much snow) there are some signs that it is just around the corner. Deam is shedding like crazy - I took out a full bucket of hair today. Which leads me to my next question:

Is there anyone who spins curly horse hair? If so, how do you prepare it for spinning? I'd like
to try it - but not sure what I need to do to get it ready. (A friend has offered to show me how to spin it...)




Anyway - no pictures today - but because I hate to leave a pictureless blog.... here's a repeat.

3 comments:

  1. My horses are not shedding at all, which I think is very strange. I am jealous of your teachers schedule!!!! I will not get enough light to ride after work for quite a while. At least chores are not in the pitch black any more. I know two people who spin Curly hair, Jen and Bunny R - but other RAC members will be able to tell you more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love that it is getting light longer! It's great that you now can do more with your horse. Voelie is not shedding yet although it is getting warmer here. I think she just likes her curls so much she wants to hang on to them a bit longer:) I put an add last year for someone who did spinning. She had never spun horsehair before but did spin the hair form my previous mare (Voelie's mom). It was too short to uses only Curly hair so she combined it with sheeps wool. I cant spin myself but I am going to look for someone who will try spinning with Voelies's hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a neat idea. I saw someone here before at the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto who did pet hair, including horses. But I can't remember where they were located. They made scarves and sweaters. I love the pic of Deams! Linus is shedding like mad too. He has been since early January. He has completely lost his longer outer coat which is making him look like he lost weight!! (good thing)

    ReplyDelete