Monday, March 28, 2011

Old news and New news

I had a helper today with Linus. In the first picture is my son Owen, he will be 3 in June. Loves everything farm related - Linus included! He unfortunately lost the majority of his load that he was "helping" bring to Linus, even though I wasn't yet bringing him his hay. Much to Owen's delight, Linus did eat what little if left on the sides of the "slide". Linus seems to know to tread carefully around Owen and really loves it when any kids come to visit him. Kind of like the cows, he seems exceptionally interested in such tiny people! I also used a sled to bring Linus a full tub of water. I haven't yet connected the hose out to where he is and the entrance is too soft to use the tractor like I had been doing.

Linus was a bit on the wired side when I approached to work with him. I think because I was bringing his tools out in a "new" box. I swapped my upright rolling showbox I used to use at cattle shows and put his brushes and head gear inside it instead. Makes the journey from barn to pasture easier. I would bring Linus to the barn but there isn't sufficient space right now with calving still going on. To get his attention and let him know I was there to work I started by driving him away first thing. He gave a few bucks and put on a show as he went midway down the pasture but he soon showed signs of wanting to work with and I love the way the picture below shows him asking to be my buddy. Head down, chewing (though you can't see that) and his ear on me. I let him come to me after this one and we began our session.

Today the bit was old news. I didn't put it on him yesterday. He had a tack free lesson yesterday. Mostly in manners and socializing with some people who wanted to see him. Anyway, bridle on today and it was old news. He carried on as if he was telling me to challenge him with something he didn't already know...must be turning into a know-it-all teenager...just wait til next month Linus!!
We repeated the same exercises as the other day and I got even more steps in the back up today. Once I was satisfied with his results here I brought in an old water bucket to use to get him used to standing beside a mounting object. Well, whole new ball game with Linus who has to inspect everything to the point that he could tell you how it was built! I let him inspect the tub thoroughly but he seemed to think that it became something new when it was beside him rather than in front of him. After a few attempts however, he was standing beside it. He is pretty good now with Whoa and Stand so it wasn't long before I stepped on top of it....another new ball game!! We did have some fun though while he inspected me on it. It was hard to get a picture that wasn't of his nose (typical curly!) I stood on the top after convincing him standing beside it was the right thing to do and just spent a few minutes scratching his rump, tail head and withers. He loved the whole process.

This photo below was taken with me still standing on the tub. He went to pick up my glove for me and in doing so the reins slid up behind his ears. He didn't bring it back though!! We'll have to work on that part of "fetch". As you can see he had the bareback pad on again. This is just to keep him used to wearing things while being worked with. I have 2 western saddles. The one you normally see on him and one that needed some repairs. They are both with a friend of a friend right now to have some work done. The one usually on Linus could be beyond repair as it is very old. The other one should be good but isn't nearly as comfortable. I find the seat too wide. Maybe it will fit the new pal Linus is getting.....


Dad's Birthday is this weekend and Mom wants to get him a horse of his own. I guess he has mentioned to her in passing about when he helps me and she got the idea. He is unfortunately not a Curly. I don't actually have it confirmed yet what breed he is since it was a friend who told me about him. He is a 6 year old grey gelding. Being parted with because the recently single mother cannot afford his board and upkeep. So, sometime Saturday or Sunday Linus should have a buddy. I will be meeting him Wednesday or Thursday night. I'm really excited to test myself with a new horse and see how things go. It will be nice to go for a ride (after we acquaint and accept of course) but I am really excited to test my groundwork with him. What Linus and I have in our relationship is a buildup of over a year of work together. It's going to be an adventure for sure!

5 comments:

  1. I am glad for you that you will have a horse to ride! It will get you back in the groove before you back Linus. I'm wondering if that saddle of yours has a wide twist. I find them to be uncomfortable. Linus is such a card with his antics, and wow, is he ever gorgeous! So grown up looking now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all you and Linus have learned together, you'll be able to get this new horse in tip top shape for your Dad ! Maybe you can even ride and pony Linus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the sweet comments. I had thought of ponying Linus too Betsy! We will see how things go. It will be nice to try some new things for sure. I'm hoping to spend Friday afternoon "figuring out" the new horse at my friends place. We'll go from there. I might have some free time with him at our farm Saturday morning before Dad arrives to see his surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happppyyy Birthday Dad!!!! I love the pic of Linus and Owen!!! Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your post Donna, finally had some quiet time to catch up on reading everyones posts. Great that your son also likes to come and help you.
    It's great news that you will be having another horse, I am sure Linus will enjoy an equine friend as well:) Also nice to look forward to riding again and in the future going out for rides with your dad!

    ReplyDelete