Friday, March 25, 2011

hate love relationship Freedom, and worked a lot of horses

I was planning to ride/work a lot of horses today. It was pretty cold, but no excuses. First I went out to feed the horses and take care of our Big Draft horse. He has a very big nasty wound on his butt. He probably got kicked by another horse ( according to the vet) and Freedom is suspect number one. But innocence until proven guilty! But I got him right in the act today! He gets so hyper when it is feeding time he starts charging at other horses and turns and strike out. This time he got our TWH cross and I got furies!
I send him away from the group but he turned his big curly ass towards me so I throw my lead rope at him and he gave me the WTF look (seen it before with other curly’s must be a curly look hahaha) He went but challenged me and hide behind my big horse Spirit. So it was a bit of a cat and mouse game but in the end I managed to get him out of the herd (of 14 horses) and made him stay in the naughty corner.
I put all the buckets out and made him wait and he was very humble...1-0 for me.
After they were finished eating I took half of the herd to another field where there is some grass coming. I had 4 horses in mind I wanted to work with and Freedom was one of them. But he took off....point for him 1-1
I walked to him and since he was almost the last one left in the field and he thought he was going to that big green field too so I could easily catch him....gna gna 2-1
Mallie was also on the worklist today but I left her in the field, so I had 3 boys tied up at the barn.
(2 quarters and Freedom) One of the quarters has a lot of energy and is very impatiens, he was turning and pawning and did not stand still for one moment. Freedom was next to him and……fell as sleep…unbelievable. Ok extra credit point for him 2-2
I worked the quarters first and then...it started to rain…but again we are not made out of sugar.
First I did some groundwork with him inside the barn (he was saddled) he was trying me out bif time again but it did not work. I was very consistent and had the attitude not today mister so he gave in quick....3-2
Then I took him out and mounted him and ride him around the round pen on the outside. Several times he tried to take of…really take of and tried to take a run back to the field. But again I did not take any bull.... today . I was very patients did not lose my temper just told him this was not the plan, and made him move his hindquarters. Again he gave in very quick and did not start a fuss. After a couple of rounds he did very well so I dismounted and brought him back to the barn and put him in a stall to soak it up for awhile. I was VERY happy how he did and the end score is 3-3 equal partners ( ok 51-49%)

Mallie is very different to work with she is EXTREMLY intelligent. She already know exactly what the next step is and gets bored so I need to be very creative with her. I ground worked her and saddled her she did great. But bucket a bit and was fast and running around in the roundpen, like yeh yeh you want me to go. I finial got her settled in and mounted her. I could feel she was not completely relaxed and I was getting tired too so we just went to the point, foot in the stirrup putting weight on it, standing in it and leaning over her back. It did not felt right to actually sit in the saddle so I didn’t. But I think she did great since this was just the second time for her to be saddled.

Had some fun time with Moose and Lydiker too those two boys are like a salt and pepper set. Side by side thinking what they can pull of this time. So today they took a trip to the girls…..not so funny boys no more free grazing for you two! Now I am exhausted and want my bed ;-)
sorry no pics this time forgot it.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Marion, working so many horses in one day does sound tiring! Good for you that you were able to keep your patience with Freedom! I know it's hard sometimes to keep your patience.Sounds like you are doing great with all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel at feeding time. All the horses get wound up wanting their grain. There have been many times and many horses that I have had to chase around. Sometimes they don't even get their grain! LOL Great job for sticking with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linus tried testing me a few times today too! Way to stick with him though and make him come to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow 14 horses! and you cut him out of the herd. I would love to have seen that! Abby kicked the barn manager this winter because she got sooo excited around feeding time. I had to do a little training the next morning to remind her of her place in life. Basically cutting her out and making her stay back. She's been calm every since and no kicking! Hopefully he learned his lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Reese was young he would challenge me like this from time to time. I called it "buffaloing me." =] It was early in his training. I found one day he might be spooky and goofy and if that didn't work, he would be really lazy. It helped working often..like three or four days a week for a while. I find with him that it's not only critical to be consistent but regular. Reese is bottom of the pecking order, so it doesn't take too much work for him to learn his lessons but he would still test for a while after them..like are you sure. I think the smart ones do. =] I am finding now that the lessons stick quicker because there is no reason to challenge. It seems silly but it took me a while to totally understand what I was doing wrong..considering I'd go several rides and all would be so perfect and then one that was not. I chalked it up to a bad day rather than something I was doing wrong. So, you are doing great by being firm, being consistent, now maybe try riding every other day for a good month once the weather improves. I think you will see a changed horse and one that will be amazing. =]

    ReplyDelete