Thursday, January 27, 2011

Back Again

Its been a little while since Ive blogged as i have had problems getting on, but hay ho I'm back. The weather over here has improved, and temp have been hitting around 9 which is great, we've had some really nice sunny days too. Echo and i had a good lesson last week int he arena. The other livery on the yard that has been helping me with my schooling, thought he was much more forward since the last time she had rode him. My main problem is with canter transitions, I'm giving poor echo mixed signals, i keep collapsing when asking for canter, and poor Echo just trots faster, i am finding it very hard to stay tall (any tips will greatly be received), so that's one to work on for me in the coming weeks.

We are still doing plenty of hacking, I'm lucky that any roads I have to go on are fairly quiet, they really only have local farm traffic on, the verges are wide to so you can get off the road if any very large farm machinery is coming.

A lot of horses on the yard have started loosing there coats, but not us, I think Echo knows something we don't because he is holding on to his coat for grim life, maybe there is snow on the way.

Sarah




Mud, Mud, Glorious mud

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Over here the weather is also better, great for being outside with horses! I always like watching someone else ride my horse, it gives so much information about how he is doing. Great that you have someone at your livery who can help. Good luck with the canter transitions! Only advice I have is practice but I am sure you are doing that allready:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,

    I like watching some one else too, they always make it seem so easy as well. She has been letting me ride her very well school eventer which has been great because I can work on my position and not worry about whats going on underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To help keep yourself tall, imagine a string attached to the top of your head and it is gently pulling you straight up!

    Is Echo really that dirty? What colour is he?
    Shelly in Summerland, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. My horses aren't shedding yet, either, but I bet they start losing a few stray hairs by the weekend even though it is very snowy and cold here in Maine. I am also a big fan of watching someone else ride my horse once in a while. I like to see how he reacts to other riders and what he does / doesn't do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Echo is so gorgeous. When we lived in England there was a "straight" horse who looked SO much like Echo on my walking route.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hu, Echo looks like a real wild child! I simply love the pic you are posting. Well, all of my horses are loosing tons of wool lol. Maybe our weather will be different ^^

    About canter: Be VERY strict when you start it and use your voice. I have the same "issue" with lovely Champ at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shelly, hes grey, lol well he is ment to be. Caren, can you enlighten me a bit. He does respond well to voice, he does'nt lunge really, but he does long line, i dont have a round pen and its very difficult to get after him ll in a big arena. Everyone else who rides him does'nt have a problem just me, i know im tipping forward, when i rode him away after been backed, i was encouraged to get off his back when asking for canter when we were out hacking, and going in straight lines, however now im having to do the oppersite to what had become natural and im finding it difficult.

    ReplyDelete