Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sunday's Glorious Ride!


Susan and Didder in downtown Hebron, Maine...
(I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures, but my computer is in the shop.)
A fellow RACer commented to me that she only gets to see her horse in daylight on the weekends this time of year, and I’m pretty much in the same boat! However, since Shelly is feeling like she is taking up too much of the blog (totally untrue!), I will write about my Sunday ride on Didder. It was much of the same that I have been blessed with all January ~ deep snow, fairly chilly but not bad, me wearing tons of layers and us out on the same trails with black dogs ~ but each ride has its unique challenges and joys. Sunday was bright and sunny, but also windy, which has been a BIG issue for us in the past. I knew in my gut, however, that it was not going to be a problem for us - and it wasn’t. After a relaxing tack up period, we set out going “backwards” our typical route because we went through my next door neighbor’s equipment yard before crossing the power line.
AhD was barely even “look-y” at all the equipment.
At our winter canter spot, he gave me a nice fast exciting one!
Because so much snow has already fallen this season, we were able to take a marshy trail with no danger of slipping on icy spots. That trail takes us down along a brook with stately pines. It is so beautiful and quiet down there. The brook is still running underneath the ice, and even open in some spots so we can hear its comforting symphony; it seems to wash away any remnants of stress with its sound.
We CHARGED up the extra steep slope. Didder was a plow train!
A moment later, striding along at a good clip, my phone rang. It was my husband, “Where are you?” Uh-oh…. There was a chimney fire at my mother-in-law’s, and she was wigging out, so we immediately cut our ride short and high tailed it for home! Didder was surprised at the fast pace, but I could tell he was thrilled! “Oh, this is fun! She’s letting me trot and canter HERE on the trail! Heavens to Betsy!”
All’s well that ends well, we got home in one piece, Mom is fine and is staying with us for a while, and Didder and I changed our ways and were like the wee little pig that ran all the way home!

5 comments:

  1. That's too bad about the fire but at least everyone is safe! I just love the scenery from your rides. You have such beautiful riding area around you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have some nice trails and you get cell service! Very Jealous. I want to take my two out more but they are still pretty green so I don't like going by myself. If we had more snow I'd feel better since they would get tired faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I am jealous as well! Wonderful pictures! You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, and Blaine, I am glad I have that cell phone reception in case of emergency (on my part).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always so fun when you are on a mission with your horse and they perform so wonderfully! You dont' have time to worry about what they might do..you just cue them and go! I remember at a clinic the instructor had all the riders play tag....their horses were mounted for the first time that weekend and yet had the riders try to focus on a goal rather than on what the horse might or might not do. It was in a small round pen with about 10 horses..so it seemed like safe exercise and the riders had a ball..so did the horses. Anyway..kind of a neat thing I thought of when you mentioned rushing home. I am so sorry about your Mom's fire...I hope there was no serious damage!

    ReplyDelete