Monday, January 17, 2011

Night and Day?




Hello Everyone,
It sounds like a lot of you had a wonderful curly filled weekend. I did too sort of...

Abby is on the mend and spunkier then ever. The farrier was out last Monday and she wasn't standing so well so I've made it a point to work with her each time I bring her out. She was not interested in it though. We went from laying down to rearing up while I held onto her foot. She even got loose from her halter but I held tight. Once she realized I wasn't letting go no matter how hard she tried she just stood there... Mares.

Although her ground manners are lacking she is a dream to ride. I've only been riding her since right before Christmas! We went out side again down the water way and her first time really riding through snow. She was perfect. I took a video of her in the arena cause I'm never sure what she is doing when I'm riding her.
It's a boring video but if want take a look.. I pretty sure is mostly doing the flatfoot walk and the foxtrot but any opinions would be welcomed!


On to Theo-
Some of you may remember that I've mentioned having troubles with him lately. I thought it was saddle fit and then just a respect issue. Well he was quite naughty Thursday night and left the barn angry at myself cause I just couldn't get him past it, but something just wasn't adding up. How could a sweet, willing, fun horse turn into a pain to ride. I did some research on his symptoms and discovered he may have Ulcers.
He has all the classic symptoms for them but man is that medicine expensive! I found a cheaper way to test if he really has them before I make the decision on how I want to treat him. You feed them Zantac pills(generic ones) 3 times a day for 3-4 days. If you see an improvement in attitude,manner, and over all happiness they most likely have Ulcers.
The first day he was on this other medicine it was like Night and Day! he was back to his fun loving self. Bending around the corners, lifting himself over the ground poles, accepting the contact instead of fighting it. I was thrilled to say the least!
Day two he was a bit naughty again but I fed him right before we rode so the medicine may not have been working at full capacity. I also rode him outside by himself for the first time since fall. It was beautiful out though so I couldn't help myself. Yes I brought the camera this time however when I went to take a picture I realized the SD card wasn't in the camera so next I guess.
Today is day three I'm really excited to get out and see how my boy is doing! I don't want it to be ulcers really but I'll just be glad that I know what is causing the behavior and that I can make him feel better.

Here are some photos I took on Sat. after our ride.

Uncle Theo watches over Abby. I think they know their related!
Abby's gazing at her sometimes boyfriend Amigo
Pretty Head
Priceless
This picture reminds me an album cover for some band. "The Curly Rockers"


10 comments:

  1. Good for you to consider that your horse may have an underlying issue for his changed behavior - this is true in almost all cases! I treat ulcers with cimetidine - it is a human medication and not very expensive. Most vets will give you a prescription for it and you can get it from the pharmacy.

    You have really lovely horses - what boodlines are they from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So does that medicine actually heal the ulcers? Thanks! Theo the chestnut is from YS Tanjobi and a Hanoverian mare called Anduet.
    Abby (YS Kawai) the gray is out of YS Kinyobi and YS Takai. Her gaited bloodlines are 4 generations back.
    I wasn't out looking for those bloodlines but I was looking for a gaited mare and found Abby. She just happened to be Theo's niece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a little mare with ulcers once -- and I also tried Zantac -- but dissolved it in water first -- worked like a charm and after a bit -- she no longer needed it. Hers cropped up from stress and a bout of scours.. she's older now and always in perfect health. Hope your issue is a one time thing too. As a matter of fact -- that was the first time I had ever even heard of Zantac .... that was maybe 13 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oww I love your mare Abby! she is so pretty. And that pic with her Eye beautifull!.

    About the ulcers I bought this for Jackson our rescue colt, because he had all the symtoms too. However after changing his feed he did better and I keep the bottle closed. But It might worth trying, I called them and it can be used for horses too.
    http://www.siberiantigernaturals.com/peptic.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nutrient Buffer is good for ulcers and doesn't mess up the stomac acid production like normal antacids do. http://vitaroyalproducts.com/equine/products/nutrient_buffer.html

    Lene

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so pretty!!! I love the one where they are nose to nose!!!! I have a draft mare that is really prone to fore gut ulcers. She would become fifteen hundred pounds of ticked off estrogen when she was having a flare up. I use Uckele G.U.T for her daily now. Has worked wonders for her :)
    http://www.uckeleequine.com/buy/gut10/

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I remember correctly, the cimitedine eases the pain of the ulcer so that the stomach can actually heal itself - it is hard to get an ulcer to heal when there is pain from it!

    I have seen very positive results with this product and it was only around $40.00 to treat.
    Shelly
    www.curlystandardplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you are so sensitive. Good for your lovely horses. Don't we always feel when something is wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did this mare Abby used to be named Takai?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually her prior name was Kawai but her dams name is Takai.

    ReplyDelete