Monday, January 24, 2011

Time for Moon

Moon literally begged for attention tonight so for the first time I took Moon up to the big barn to work with him.  I haven't worked with him alot recently and he was missing it!

Of my little herd, he's definitely the most sensitive.  So on our way to the big barn, he snorted over the wet concrete, the fish pond, the swimming pool, the trees and so on.  As far as I know he's never been in an indoor arena before so I was a bit worried how this would go. 

He was very, very good until the trainer came flying around the barn on a speed racking horse.  Moon tends to handle most things very well (if snorty) but he gets upset and distracted by other horses.   So he spazzed over the other horse and pulled back and broke the snap on his leadrope. 

After that hoopla he was just fine.  He really likes to work.  We worked on getting that nice slow jog.  I was proud of him!!

On a side note.....  I dewormed the curlies this week. It turned into an experience.  I managed to teach them all to turn their heads away for a treat, it helps with the mugging.  The dewormer I used was the apple flavored Safeguard.  I'm sure you can see where this is going.  It's really hard to poke a tube in the mouth of a horse who has turned his head away!  I did get it done even if I had dewormer smeared all over me.  That didn't last long though, Sailor licked it off!

3 comments:

  1. Carrie, I've had the same experience with oral antibiotics! More gets on me at times than in the horse's mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so great, Carrie...but you threw me off for a bit with your title. I was thinking it was Lynn posting about her "Moon Shadow"! So now I have to shake everything you started to say and apply it to YOU Moon! I don't often hear stories about him so this was fun news. The wormer is always a trip, isn't it?? I love Sailor!♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol :) I remember that I was hiding the dewormer for Dancer in hundreds of little carrot pieces with a top cover each :) I was reminded of the old Japanese carving art!

    ReplyDelete