Sunday, January 16, 2011

Saturday Snow Galumphing

What's up with these recent posts I see... chatting about 50 degrees and people riding in light shirts ??

Here in Vermont, we have a deep covering of white stuff and lots of cold. Plenty of strong wind moving the snow around making the depth of snow unpredictable here and there.

Saturday -- after a long week of storms and dead batteries... I couldn't wait to climb in the saddle. We had one lesson cancellation and a scheduled break between which added up to enough time to bang out a quick loop --
let's try some trail today :)


And Folks... if you remember my quest for cozy toes -- my mind is whirring out ideas -- today I tried a new one ~
I had some of this insulation leftover from a remodeling project .. it's rather thin - but effective. I cut soles for my boots -- so did Zoe. Let's give it a try. The middle layer is a bubble wrap of sorts- each outer layer is reflective.






It's 2 below today... and so far my feet are warm :) The trail is warmer than the road - as always. We are the first foot steps in this snowfall ... I love that.






The woods are beautiful today -- this kind of ride is such a mood improver :)







Today -- lots of layers... long johns, top and bottom -- snow pants over riding pants -
For new products this 2011.. we have Champion tops - a kind of under armor knock off - very warm and inexpensive. Zoe received the UnderArmor bottoms for a holiday gift -- I am envious.. warm and comfy. So worth the extra dollars.


OYY Yemaya is Keri's partner today. She loves a trail -- and is always ready for a challenge. And anyone reading and looking -- I have to sneak in -- she's on the sale page :) 


when the snow is deep enough -- the horses have that super fun exuberant snow trot.. which is like galumphing ~   what a joyful activity !!




Keri is partial to a nice rhythmic GALUMPH....    Yemaya evidently prefers a loose canter.  We had so much fun through the woods alternately trotting and cantering -- the perfect cure for any winter time blues you might be suffering.





We exit the woods - trot across the intensely bright field where we pass a pretty Vermont hilltop farm and find a snowbank where the occupants plowed ... just set there for us to have some fun.


Remember Keri and her Simba- like attitude ?

I walk on the wildside. I laugh in the face of danger.

Let me at that snow pile --  












Also remember -- 
Keri is built much like Calvin of the comics -- 
She has very short legs 












Just for an instant - I am reminded of our swimming days of summer, when all of a sudden we find DEEP WATER !!

Keri is not sure if she needs to keep walking or start jumping
















Leaping she decides is going to work best
If we had more time, we could search out some more deep snow for additional giggles and more galumphing.. but - it's back to work we must head. 




What a fun quick respite on a mid Saturday morning... I did not even feel cold once -- but felt renewed -- which is the wonderful about riding :)  




I am thrilled to have won first place in the Jack Benny category for the RAC ... rather UN-humbly-like I feel ~ YAY for me and Keri -- and of course some of the hours logged were with my lovely Nimue and my other favorite beautiful girl -- Fiona. It's been a jubilant year ... some really superb riding and driving adventures.  I know I have not sent in my goals for 2011 as yet -- but here's how I feel about my riding future .. I dream of riding faster, harder and further :)   with maybe venturing into an overnight trail ride here and there for something new and different for me and Keri, discovering some fresh trail hopefully.    I must say - as a breeder -- I'll have to watch myself... the two winners coming in right behind me are riding two of my babies... one of them a paternal sister to my Keri, the other a maternal sister to Fiona.    I know there are other farm babies in the RAC .. so I am challenged to keep a stride ahead :)  Everyone did a great job in 2010 -- we're a super group.. growing all the time -- Thank you Denise for heading it all up !! 

And a quick PS.... those insulation inserts are also great insoles for muck boots or whatever -- SO warm when doing chores and other winterly duties.  :) 


Enjoy ~

6 comments:

  1. Betsy,
    I love your ride reports - it is just like being there! I love your term galumping! It is like snow jumping/surging, right? So much fun! Around here we had a bit of wind and there were a few spots the other day that we knew the trail or we wouldn't have gone that way - looked like a cliff side, but the horses knew that spot too and just calmly walked down the hill!

    Tell me where you got the insulation for your shoes - I want some of that!
    Shelly
    www.curlystandardplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a lot of snow! I love your pictures. Over here we hardly ever have more than 20 cm of snow and that is considered a lot!
    p.s. If Yemaya was here in the Netherlands (or at least Europe) I would definately come and see her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, that's a lot of snow!! I LOVE the pic and the video. It looks like fun but brrrr cold.
    Wish I had somebody to ride with. that's the only thing I miss a riding buddy.

    But this is fum to watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! Your Snow Drift Saga was cute!! Once again, I get the enjoyment of joining you and Zoe on a ride in the Vermont snow. I felt refreshed after my ride today, too, that is a very good way you have of describing the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FUN! A canter in the snow! Loved it! =] Man, that was one big drift you had to go through. Reminds me of a drift Reese and I went in and he just stopped..like, Hummm..I'm stuck, can't you see? They really have to use turbo power to get through some of them! Awesome idea with the shoes - so far my muck boots do the trick, but I don't ride for more than 90 min in the winter. But so good to know. I love your ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun! And I LOVE your idea about cold feet lol!

    ReplyDelete