Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Learning to be brave

Today I had a really good ground training session with Voelie. I took her out of the field to practice nicely walking along with me, trotting, stopping and backing up. Then we practiced walking onto a concrete patch in front of the barn. She did not want to stand on it at first, it took quite some convincing and some treats to get her onto the concrete. Then we walked back off and tried again, we dit this about 6 times until she followed me on and back off without needing treats. She was learning how to be a brave horse and to follow me:)
Then it was time for her vaccinations. The vet came today and she needed two shots. Even after this, which she didn't like, she was still really paying attention to me and listening really well. We went out of the gate onto the driveway (no whinnying this time) and followed the vet to her car where she added the vaccination dates in the passport. Voelie almost had her nose in her passport to see what was going on! The vet commented on how curious she was, how well she behaved and also that she was getting prettier every time! It is always great to get such compliments on your horse!

3 comments:

  1. Oh great! Again, sounds like the simple things, but this is so important! Best Caren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds your doing a great job with Voelie. It is nice to get compliment, make you grow at least an inch hihi.
    Keep the curls going in the Netherlands :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondeful! I am reading about all the different things people do with their horses and it gives me all sorts of ideas and what I should be doing!

    ReplyDelete