Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Real Surprise!

Dear Reader,

  Up here in Northern Idaho the weather has been very inclement.  In fact today approached blizzard conditions.  But this is a perfect time for Pedestal Training as taught by Mr. Allen Pogue!  So here is what happened this morning between Penny's Lyle and I.  I fed all of the horses breakfast.  Lyle waited in the stall that he shares with the colt, White Bird, for his breakfast.  Even when White Bird started eating, Lyle still waited for me to come and get him.  Lyle did not eat, even though the food was right there for White Bird and him.  He wanted his breakfast on his platform!  (Really, Honest!)  Lyle controlled his impulses to eat and waited for me to come, halter him and take him to his platform because that space was where he wanted his food.  So I did just that, I took him to his platform for his breakfast.  (Now I had moved his platform so that it was not in the same place as it was yesterday.  I had moved it so that it was right next to the big old bale wagon that tours over and above his and my head.  He mounted the platform nicely.  He needed just a little encouragement.  And to give him that I tapped very lightly on his flank with my "carrot stick."  He mounted.  He pawed just a little to be sure of his footing.  Then he started eating the hay that was there for him.

   Lyle ate happily as the blizzard blew and I shivered!  He has learned that when he dismounts from the platform he is to back off of it.  Suddenly a big gust of wind came through the barn where he and I were.  The gust came unexpectedly from behind Lyle.  Even though he startled at the gust, Lyle did not come off of his platform by going forward.  Rather he obeyed his learning, and backed off of the platform very slowly.  This meant moving into the gust.  But that is just what Lyle did, he controlled his instincts and moved into the wind that had frightened him.  I then asked Lyle to remount the platform.  He looked relieved that I had asked him to get back on.  He did it nicely and continued eating.

    Here is what is so interesting.  After about 40 minutes Lyle was ready to end the lesson for today.  He "told" me that he was ready to rejoin White Bird in the big stall.  I picked up the hay that was still on the ground while Lyle waited for me.  Then he and I walked into the big stall together.  The entire time Lyle seemed to understand what I was doing.  He also seemed to understand that I was listening to both my own wishes and to his wishes.  It was a good training time for both of us.  I have started teaching Lyle how to smile on request.  This will become a cue for him to tell him that our training time is over.  This way Lyle will have the strong definitions that every horse needs.  

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson and Penny's Lyle in snow bound Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA.

P.S. The really exciting thing about the Pedestal Training that Mr. Pogue teaches is that it teaches a horse how to control his impulses and how to express his needs in a good way.  Please forgive me, but I love this new way of horse training.  But the proof will be how Lyle does under saddle.  I will share that with all of you also.




5 comments:

  1. Sounds brilliant, Penny! There are so many good training methods out there, if only everyone would be interested in and apply them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very interesting, Penny. I love hearing about all sorts of training methods that work for people. Sounds like Lyle is an outstanding Curly and you and he have quite a bond going there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Another idea for me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan,
    I had a trainer break Lyle to saddle. Unbeknown to me this man roughed Lyle up and made Lyle into a fighting fool. I had to give Lyle a real chance because he is just to good to see go to waste. I have restarted Lyle using a bit that fits his mouth called the rockin S low port snaffle. I have been riding him and teaching him that I will not beat on his mouth. And to help him relearn how to be ridden I have been doing ground work using Allen Pogue's Imagine a Horse Method. And Lyle is responding very well to all of this. I am happy that actually it is Lyle who is giving me a second chance.
    Thank you,
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janeen, Personally I have found so very mcuh good in Mr. Pogue's training method. It has given Lyle a second chance. And Lyle is responding to this very well. But the truth is really that Lyle has been giving me a second chance and Mr. Pogue's teaching is what is enabling Lyle to do this.
    Thank you so very much for your good wishes.
    Sincerely,
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete