Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New girl in the herd - Jubliee's Golden Stetson's Sunshine

Hello Curly Friends, 

Over the Holidays, I received an email from folks who live about an hour and a half away asking if I could take a little Curly filly into our herd. Well, again, I heard my grandmama's voice saying; "there's always room for one more at our table" and I hooked up the horse trailer to go pick her up sight unseen. When, I pulled up, I got goose bumps as I always do when meeting a new member of our herd, as I watched a little sorrel, filly with flaxen curls, running up to great me with her larger Curly, paint brother at her heels. I immediately thought there was something familiar about her and was certain when she walk right up to greet me with a warm, soft, nuzzle.



I was looking at a smaller version of my Jubliee's Curly J. Yes, she is his (half) sister. The folks said they bought her when they bought her half brother (the Curly paint) from a breeder in Texas. A few years ago, a friend who volunteers with Habit for Horses contacted me and said; "I know you have a thing for curly horses" and that there was s two year old gelding that just came into a local rescue and needed a home. He was located in Luchenbach, Texas. A friend and I drove seven hours in the rain to pick up Curly J and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Curly J and Sunnie seem to know they are related. I am continuing to learn more about her dam's side but know for sure they are both sired by Colonel Beau ap Jubliee from the JC Jubliee bloodlines. 

Sunnie is all tomboy. When we first came home I put her with the other mares. She was miserable and walked the fence line constantly. Then I gave her time to become acquainted with the jennies. She pinned her ears and explained "I am not a donkey". So, I let her run with the boys (geldings) and you could see the body language saying; "yep, this is where I belong". 

Well, now that she has been here for a few weeks I am working with her on leading, cleaning her feet and grooming. Just walking her around with a halter and letting her get use to me touching her is a lot for her. She is accepting our time and comes willingly to be be haltered and groomed. She has a different build than Curly J as you can see in this photo but the same willing personality. As I work with her I am amazed at how well she flexes. Maybe we have a dressage prospect here....

Sunnie continues to grow and is putting on the much needed weight for her size. I adore that they are together with us as she has the same, sweet, willing, Curly personality, as her brother.  What a wonderful Holiday gift.....Jubliee's Golden Stetson's Sunshine.

Angie (Gaines) and her herd,
Golden Curls Ranch
Kaufman, Texas, USA


6 comments:

  1. Angie, your heart is as big as Texas and your love for your Curlies shines through. Sunnie couldn't have landed at a better place.
    Oh, congratulations on your 2010 RAC win!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it is meant to be...isnt it amazing how it all "curls" together!!! Sunnie is BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that! So beautiful. Thanks a lot to let us know how wonderful live in Texas can be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an awesome story! These horses are so lucky they found their way to your hart and home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww - they absolutely belong together!
    Adena

    ReplyDelete