Monday, January 10, 2011

Genesis



Hi, my name is Chuck Halstead-Johnson. Yesterday, I began recording my rides for RAC. It was the first time in over a year since I had ridden the young lady I rode. Unfortunately, last spring *Katrina's Fire Walker (*Walker) suffered some physical difficulties and is just now on the mend. Now that she is feeling better we have decided to get a little exercise. She won't be the only horse that I'll be riding, but I will be concentrating on getting her more fit, physically and mentally.


We had a short ride, about 20 minutes. She was a bit uncomfortable, leaving the rest of the herd, and is still a little off, in that her responses were not as confident as previous to her illness. Here are a couple of photos from yesterday.

5 comments:

  1. Great job, Chuck! Sucks when these grand mares start catching up with our own "greys", doesn't it? Keep up the great work and hope to visit with you and Adria soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! A great step on her road to recovery, and I bet she will be back into the swing of things by spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Chuck!! Loved reading your post...another brave guy aboard! (on the blog, not on the horse..although that's true too! lol) You and walker look great --- a nice slow and steady new beginning..sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuck,
    I love the connection you have with Walker and that you respect her need to become more comfortable. Seems like leaving the herd can be a very scary thing for our horses. My friend, Mitch Wilkinson and I share training tips and he said when he has a horse that is "herd sour" to spend as much time with them away from others as you and pretty soon they will look to you as their partner. He evens takes his horses out for a few days and sleeps with them away from the other horses. I use this tip too when working with my Curly Mustangs and they soon connect me as their herd mate{:>
    Can't wait to hear more about your progress with Walker.
    Best,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these pictures have so much calmness. I love to watch them. Please keep us posted, you are doing fantastic!

    ReplyDelete