Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Moose (Jackson) time

It is not funny anymore, two days and nights of nonstop rain. I like the snow much better.Everything is one big mudslide/pool I can hardly get to the barn.

But still I wanted to do at least something and since Moose (Jackson) was standing in the pasture looking like a drown sheep, I thought let’s take him inside and do some groundwork. We took Moose in from Michigan about 1.5 month ago as a rescue and he was very skinny and weak. Got very sick the first couple of weeks, but now he is doing great. Since I had no idea what he had learned in the pass I decided to work him in the barn since outside was not an option. We have a very wide isle so I could at least do some desensitizing and driving games. Also I wanted to see how he was picking up his feet etcetera.
Picking up his feet was no problem at all, so he was good on that. Then we started to play. He gave me the look….what do you want with that orange stick…and what’s this….and now what?......
He is so curious it’s funny. However he is also very smart. I don’t think he ever played games and exercises we did, but he picked up very quick. I moved his hindquarters, his front, making him go backwards and a circle around me. He was great. I am very proud of him. I treat him like a yearling who doesn’t had any training at all. I just want to begin with a fresh start with this beautiful sweet, little horse.


4 comments:

  1. Awww, Marion, he looks sweet! I bet he enjoyed the attention. You are going to have fun with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a GOOD boy! It does my heart good to see him thriving! AND hearing how well he is doing with his training. Thanks for the update...although I always want more! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is he?! Wonderful. Please share more of your wonderful rescue! I love reading about him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moose looks lovely Marion, how old is he? Great that you have at least some space to work with him inside! We are also having lost of rain.

    ReplyDelete