Saturday, January 22, 2011

More Good from Imagine a Horse

Dear Reader,

    This is foal watch time now for me.  On February 10 of 2010 Madeline, one of my nicest mares, and Muds Slinger, my stallion, had an accidental breeding.  (Actually Madeline did something that she has never done before or since, she took a gate down to get to Mud Slinger.  So it was not accidental on her part.  But it was accidental on my part because I did not intend to breed them in this market.)  I have been on foal watch since January 16, checking Madeline every two hours around the clock and completely stripping and bedding again the big foaling stall daily.  Because of this I have not been working with Penny's Lyle for the past several days.  I have been just to tired and in a blur.

But today I saw something that is a direct result of the "Imagine a Horse" training method that I have been using with Lyle.  He knows his name and will come when I call him, even if he is far away.  So I called Lyle.  He came nicely, doing the classic curly running walk.  He followed me at liberty and walked along side of me to his feed pan, which he saw as he entered the big hay barn's alley way with me.  During this walk down the long hay barn alley way Lyle was slobbering in anticipation of his NorthWest concentrate, sun flower seeds and his ground up sea weed, called "Source."  But he walked along side of me politely.

I hope to have some pictures of Lyle when I am not so tired.  And, God willing, I hope to have some pictures of Madeline and her new foal.  This will be a true "love foal" because Madeline is Mud Slinger's favorite mare and she made the choice to breed!  I am looking forward to gentling and training this foal with Mr. Pogue's method as it is taught in "Imagine a Horse."

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Kootenai Curly Horses

Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA

     

2 comments:

  1. It is so nice that Lyle is such a gentleman and good follower! That is how it is supposed to be! Best Caren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Caren,
    Lyle is not fully a gentleman yet. But he will reach that goal one day. And I hope to be there when he reaches that place of true contentment and usefulness. He is still green. But one day he will be true blue and golden.
    Sincerely,
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA

    ReplyDelete