Sunday, January 30, 2011
Deep Snow makes Tough Trails !
Here's our Saturday ride from my perspective :)
I always snap this photo as we trot down the hill toward the Apple Tree Farm. Mount Ascutney in the distance -- I have plans to ride up that in the future and snap a view pointing this way :) Now I said to Zoe -- if the fellow who lives here would cut down that pine and maybe the two maples I'd have a much better photograph.
We trot past Hidden Valley pond - which looks like a vast expanse of snow now. Someone or something was out on the ice searching.
This is a banner year for icicles because of the extreme weather we've been experiencing. You can tell that this little house on the corner does not have much for attic insulation-- all the snow has melted off their roof. We've had such cold weather here in Vermont lately -- the roofs are quite deep with snow which has not slid off yet... we are waiting for a thaw and a big slide.
Mineral Springs just ahead... love this stretch of road here with great views. I usually see the kingfisher at the beaver pond - and sometimes a heron or two.
Keri gets bonked in the head with Zoe's crop quite often during our rides.. she's used to it.
There's a nice trail which winds around the back of this pond which we have not been on in a awhile -- we make a mental note for the next trip.
No sun today -- it is not as cold as it looks though.. a bit of a January thaw -- which means it is no longer below zero.
As we amble down this dirt road - we see evidence that the "stroller lady" has been out today
I applaud this young woman for getting out with her kids and dogs no matter the weather -- but as I suggested to Zoe - perhaps we should get her number and call ahead.. if she's on the road we'll take another route ! The stroller is a double decker of sorts -- two children.. two dogs lunging on leashes and very squeaky wheels. First time Keri saw this obstacle - her eyes bugged right out of her head - and she's seen a lot in her days. :)
And what is a blog post without my canter video ? heading up what we have always called Mile Long Hill (it is exactly a mile) Zoe and Elektra cheat a bit -- as they pass us and stick that crop out as a barrier. Well at least she does not bump me into a ditch the way naughty Teasel does. :) We head to Heidi's house - one of the reasons for taking this route.
just waiting for someone to answer the knock.
Now soon you will see how those elegant legs of Elektra's are going to be quite handy --
Headed onto trail. Elektra has to perform her customary poke first to be sure.
Here's Zoe taking a photo of me taking a photo of her.
Elektra is still wondering where the road went.
Right here, in the warmer months -- there is a huge puddle... this is where Fiona did her first big puddle walk for last year's mini contest. Cold enough so we don't even break ice today.
The snowy forest is beautiful and quiet... made me think of Robert Frost
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
it wasn't long that we all were questioning the wisdom of trail riding in this deep snow... wow -- we tried trotting.. too tiring. Elektra is having an easier time of it - here is where the legs come into play - she travels like a graceful tango ---- while Keri trudges along with whatever the opposite of that would be - an awkward cha-cha ? Somedays it stinks to be short.
But -- trudge along girls as Frost says--
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Carving on the tree -- Mountain Man .. can't seem to get the zoom on my camera to work -- it's tired too.
This is what it looks like in the summer .. wonder who left this memento 21 years ago ?
I keep re-assuring Keri we are almost there !
As we clump and waddle and galumph along .. we notice in these woods skillions of bunny tracks this way and that -- what the heck do rabbits eat with this much snow cover ? it was like the Rabbit Convention in here along this trail -- we saw plenty of spots where they had evidently dug down for grass and other goodies.
Once we reach the copse of pines - I tell Keri.. almost there girl !
I love this spot.... even better today :) another half mile and we are out on the road.. it's just about dark - as Zoe snaps a photo of the sun setting.
By the time the horses are put away - I am stuck doing my chores in the dark of the night.. what a great adventure though. as usual I am totally refreshed :)
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- Amiable and Earnest
- Ok, finally found a computer that I was able to...
- Hoof Bridge and Western Trail Shows with Chester i...
- A little change for the Queen of Carts
- Spent a fabulous weekend out at the ranch riding. ...
- Extreme Cowboy Race
- To mix things up a bit my mom and I decided yeste...
- Good day!
- Back in the Bush!
- Not as good as yesterday
- Still too Cold
- Yesterday's lesson
- Deep Snow makes Tough Trails !
- Building trust and leadership...
- Grits and baby - the new BLM curly girl
- Moon and Murray
- First Post of 2011
- The Best Day
- Tygs is home!
- New things
- Did I get a new horse??? ; )
- My day "off"
- Extended trot :)
- Training and Fun
- Pictures of Kaycee and Seal
- Hello everyone, I just had to share Tonic's enlig...
- Havent been mutch blogging lately
- An introduction to my non-curled curlies...
- Ground Driving - finally!
- Something New
- Sunday's Glorious Ride!
- Still Cold, Still Riding
- Back Again
- What a good boy he is :)
- *Joe's Journey continues.....
- Curly promotion
- Time for Moon
- My mum wasen't the only one that went!
- Linus is a true Canadian
- Every day is a new day eh?
- Let me start by saying that for those of...
- When we finished in the arena, we went for a trai...
- I decided to try my hand at some balancing e...
- Join Susan and Didder in the Deep Maine Snow!
- More Good from Imagine a Horse
- Another Snow Day in New Hampshire
- : )
- A Real Surprise!
- 3 more days!!
- Back inside
- Pedestal training
- Oh it was ... slow
- Two weeks till I compete in the Extreme Cowboy Rac...
- Moose (Jackson) time
- A ride with my brother :)
- TOMORROW ... will be the day ...
- New girl in the herd - Jubliee's Golden Stetson's ...
- Sunday's Cold Ride to the Top with views
- The weather breaks at last
- *Flame On :)
- My Birthday Ride
- Received my RAC/Curly Horse Country Apparel
- Night and Day?
- A Brisk Late Afternoon Ride in Maine
- Saturday Snow Galumphing
- Don't try this at home! LOL
- Busy, Busy Day
- It takes two to tango
- 65 Degrees and Lots of Energy!
- Winter pictures in Norway
- A four horse day!
- Map of 2011 RAC Team
- A Close Call
- A close Call
- Sassy update :)
- Cold Season
- My Curly Mule is an Appy now
- Snowny Curls in Texas
- Murray, Murray, Murray ...
- A "Girls Only" Ride
- Learning to be brave
- Quiet Day
- Yodie's First Ride Since September
- Back in the saddle
- Target Training
- Joe - January 10, 2011
- Horsin' Around - Jan. 9th Edition!
- Ashley & Teke
- Rain, Rain, Go Away
- Curlies and the Chiropractor Sunday
- Curlies on RFDTV and radio program
- *Joe's Journey
- First ride of the year
- Sunny Winter day
- ▼ January (159)
- ► 2010 (477)
- ► 2009 (333)