Saturday, January 29, 2011

New things

Today I decided to practice some 'scary' things with Voelie. Just to get her used to walking over all kinds of things and trusting me. I just used pieces of material that were lying around on the grounds to set up a nice course for training. There was an old rubber mat that I rolled out and a piece of plastic (the plastic used to cover big bales of hay). In the end I even had the plastic on her back.
After this we walked the driveway and a couple of meters on the road. When I saw a car coming we stood on the driveway and I gave her a handful of treats. She did tense when the car passed but she didn't jump or try to run so that was an improvement!
Below are the picturs from this exercise.






"Are you sure you want to go there, there is something scary on the ground"
"Snif and see what happens"
"I have one foot on here now give me my treat!"
She did have all four feet on and we walked over the plastic several times
Her feet on the rubber mat
Cute face:)
The plastic folded and on her back! I am so proud!

3 comments:

  1. Jessica this is awesome! Beautiful pictures! We do these pacours of horror frequently and it is GREAT SUCCESS when they stay that calm! Amazing Job! And Yes such a cute face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! I know it's hard taking pics like this when you are trying to work your little ones. =] Great idea and great scary props too! Cars are also a great thing to get them used to...I think some horses tend to accept them fairly quickly, while others take time. Sounds like Voelie is well on her way to being a great future mount!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Jessica...isn't it fun bringing on a youngster? I love doing obstacle courses with Linus too.

    ReplyDelete