Tuesday, January 18, 2011

*Flame On :)

The temperatures went crazy here for the past couple of days and a lot of our snow melted and has become a lot of water on the ground!  The footing is not great at all in my arena, so I decided just to work with Flame today - since we aren't really doing anything that requires too much precision - at least not yet!

Flame was just about perfect and if she keeps on like this then I will be riding her very soon - she seems to really love the work, today I put a saddle on her for the first time and she never even bothered to look at it ( I DID show it to her, but she just  seems to consider it beneath her lovely self to worry at all about something like a saddle - she reminds me SO much of her sister, it is kind of weird.

I spent a bit of extra time grooming her today as well - completely combed out her mane and tail (don't worry, Denise, the curls will come back LOL), anyhow, Flame seemed to enjoy the attention.  When I am working with these horses, I know it is also important to sometimes do "nothing", just hang out, groom them, all kinds of things.  I like it when someone shows up around here and I can have an excuse to just hang on to whatever horse I am working at the time and the horse just gets to hang out and visit with us - I consider all of this important!

So if  the footing stays like this I will be heading back to the indoor arena - it is probably time I did anyway - I was working Joe at home to try to have him gain a bit more confidence and I think we are there now - at the indoor we can really start to do some work.

So that is it for today - until next time!
Shelly
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

3 comments:

  1. I should come up and meet you sometime this year. You are on the way to my grandma's in BC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said about just hanging out. Good bonding opportunties there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful ... just be together with them ... this is also a lesson!

    ReplyDelete