Monday, January 31, 2011

A little change for the Queen of Carts

Sunday was the perfect day to get out the old sleigh that has been in the family since the mid-eighties here in Vermont. This little home made rig has seen a lot of action .. and has suffered some over the years. It sorely needs some restoration :) BUT - the great thing is - as long as the horse can pull it - it goes :) Not much for maintenance, no moving parts - no wonder those old pioneers found a good sleigh/sled so handy.  Years ago, the little sleigh had the requisite red painted santa sleigh type sides... now I guess it's more of a skoot than a sleigh.



When my number 5 son was cranky and would not nap -- I'd hitch up the sleigh and he'd fall asleep on the floor of the sled while we trotted around and around the ring in the large circle of packed snow I made with the tractor.  So far Dominic is the only other offspring that appreciates the horses - and he loves going out for a cart ride/sleigh ride. Today we have some gentle snow showers ~ not terribly frigid, a decent day for sleigh fun.




Dominic and I flew down the road and back -- the back roads were perfect on the flat parts.. the runners just glided right along and Nimue pulled us with speed effortlessly.  FUN :)  As Zoe mentioned in her post-- Dominic has the same thoughts as we do -- further and faster !!  Luckily our horses generally co-operate with our desires.



Zoe taking her turn ~   As for sleigh memories - here's one that sticks in my mind. When Zoe was younger, about Dominic's age -- she foolishly stepped out of the sled in the front - and the horse moved forward a few steps -- poor Zoe got run over by the sled :) She's a tough farm girl though - obviously her memories of sleigh riding are still positive ones  !!



This video is just like being in the driver's seat -- I started with the camera in my hand, but it's not like riding and video'ing -- I needed both hands with the lines - so I experimented to see what would happen if I just let the camera dangle around my neck. Here's what I got. Notice how nicely she steps that sleigh over for the turn. What a good girl :)

Coming back up after our foray down the road... few slippery spots -- Nimue digs right in to pull -- what a great girl !!

AND -- here's the little monkey at the helm... first time holding the lines himself and driving ! Pretty exciting for him.


We had to bring our fun to a close sooner than we planned, because a family came to look at ponies --  they arrived a bit early .. so they were treated to a sleigh ride before we put Miss Nimue away for the day.  She's a great mare -- and I have to mention.. don't forget she is for sale !

Enjoy ~

8 comments:

  1. WAUWWW!!! this is absolutly great, Love the pic and the video. You realy do very well with your horses love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH that looks like soooo much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really looks great! Also nice to have your son also drive in the last video! I still hope that one of my sons will also like horses:) Will just have to wait and see;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you go! Awesome! I think us RACers are hoping no one buys Nimue...but I do hope the family bought a different pony. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way ... :) So wonderful, I simply need to train my horses that way when they are old and calm enough. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Susan...I hope Nimue stays within the RAC competition if she does go!! What an awesome little mare!!
    In a few years my Owen will hopefully get to try his hands at the lines with Linus

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the meantime -- bring Owen down here -- we'll teach him - but I promise.. he won't get run over :) Come on guys -- there are more to take on Nimue's role... she needs her own home and family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great mare! I would love to do some driving with a sleigh, looks like a lot of fun. Not to mention not having to pack those bales around for all the horses!!! :)

    ReplyDelete