Saturday, January 22, 2011
Join Susan and Didder in the Deep Maine Snow!
Another awesome ride on my beloved Curly boy Didder! I didn’t have too much time to spend, a couple of hours, but I still took my sweet time getting AhD tacked up (and ready to leave his buddy behind in the paddock), remembering to use our Essential Oils. This time we were able to take a different route to the trails out back, because my husband and I opened the gates and cut the wire in a place or two to allow snowmobilers through to ITS-89. The snow is quite deep, making for slow going in most places, and hard work for my trusty steed, even where the snowmobiles have passed because it just is not packed hard enough to prevent break through. We turned off the snowmobile trail, and headed into the deep soft new snow.
I took a couple of videos to show you how lovely it is, plowing through the snow on your sturdy little Curly!
I call him “Didsy” when he is being extra sweet and good.
I took this video to show you just how quiet it is in the woods. It is so refreshing.
Look out Grace and Aaralyn, here comes Didder!
Just after this video, I could hear a kid whooping it up a ways away. I copied the “Whoop”’s and we started communicating back and forth. I felt like a kid again, being silly.
I dismounted and led AhD down the wicked steep hill, and at the bottom, lo and behold, there were moose tracks! The difference between the moose tracks and Didder’s tracks were like night and day. I turned AhD around so I could take a picture.You can see that Didder made a solid line plowing through the deep snow. The moose made separate tracks, each about two feet apart, and once in a while two little lines appeared between the tracks where he or she had dragged a cloven hoof. It was super cool. Soon after, our trail made a sharp turn, and then we were actually following along in the moose tracks. We didn't meet up with the moose, but we did scare up a couple of grouse and a deer out from her bed under a spruce tree. Oh, yeah, and a mottled brown and white bunny.
Coming home, we met up with the very same snowmobilers who asked permission to cut across our land! Super nice people – grandparents, grown kids, and a 3-year-old girl. They admired Grace and Aaralyn for their good nature. They were not horse people, but they were thrilled to meet up with us. They inquired about AhD’s curly coat, so I got to explain about the breed. AhD nuzzled the little girl, who turned out to be a horse lover, so we gave her a pony ride. I am soooo happy with my buddy Didsy!
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- Amiable and Earnest
- Ok, finally found a computer that I was able to...
- Hoof Bridge and Western Trail Shows with Chester i...
- A little change for the Queen of Carts
- Spent a fabulous weekend out at the ranch riding. ...
- Extreme Cowboy Race
- To mix things up a bit my mom and I decided yeste...
- Good day!
- Back in the Bush!
- Not as good as yesterday
- Still too Cold
- Yesterday's lesson
- Deep Snow makes Tough Trails !
- Building trust and leadership...
- Grits and baby - the new BLM curly girl
- Moon and Murray
- First Post of 2011
- The Best Day
- Tygs is home!
- New things
- Did I get a new horse??? ; )
- My day "off"
- Extended trot :)
- Training and Fun
- Pictures of Kaycee and Seal
- Hello everyone, I just had to share Tonic's enlig...
- Havent been mutch blogging lately
- An introduction to my non-curled curlies...
- Ground Driving - finally!
- Something New
- Sunday's Glorious Ride!
- Still Cold, Still Riding
- Back Again
- What a good boy he is :)
- *Joe's Journey continues.....
- Curly promotion
- Time for Moon
- My mum wasen't the only one that went!
- Linus is a true Canadian
- Every day is a new day eh?
- Let me start by saying that for those of...
- When we finished in the arena, we went for a trai...
- I decided to try my hand at some balancing e...
- Join Susan and Didder in the Deep Maine Snow!
- More Good from Imagine a Horse
- Another Snow Day in New Hampshire
- : )
- A Real Surprise!
- 3 more days!!
- Back inside
- Pedestal training
- Oh it was ... slow
- Two weeks till I compete in the Extreme Cowboy Rac...
- Moose (Jackson) time
- A ride with my brother :)
- TOMORROW ... will be the day ...
- New girl in the herd - Jubliee's Golden Stetson's ...
- Sunday's Cold Ride to the Top with views
- The weather breaks at last
- *Flame On :)
- My Birthday Ride
- Received my RAC/Curly Horse Country Apparel
- Night and Day?
- A Brisk Late Afternoon Ride in Maine
- Saturday Snow Galumphing
- Don't try this at home! LOL
- Busy, Busy Day
- It takes two to tango
- 65 Degrees and Lots of Energy!
- Winter pictures in Norway
- A four horse day!
- Map of 2011 RAC Team
- A Close Call
- A close Call
- Sassy update :)
- Cold Season
- My Curly Mule is an Appy now
- Snowny Curls in Texas
- Murray, Murray, Murray ...
- A "Girls Only" Ride
- Learning to be brave
- Quiet Day
- Yodie's First Ride Since September
- Back in the saddle
- Target Training
- Joe - January 10, 2011
- Horsin' Around - Jan. 9th Edition!
- Ashley & Teke
- Rain, Rain, Go Away
- Curlies and the Chiropractor Sunday
- Curlies on RFDTV and radio program
- *Joe's Journey
- First ride of the year
- Sunny Winter day
- ▼ January (159)
- ► 2010 (477)
- ► 2009 (333)