Monday, January 10, 2011

Target Training

After Chuck’s ride on *Walker, I spent a few minutes introducing *Love to target work. I had a pool noodle, and *Love was none too sure that it wasn’t going to eat her. However, as we have done a small amount of Clicker Training before, I was confident I could get her over the problem.


First step, of course, is to get her to touch the target (noodle) with her nose, and typically you arrange that to happen accidentally. Once accomplished, I introduced the word “touch” and asked her to “touch the noodle” and caused it to touch her nose again. She is a quick study, that one, and within a few tries had the idea that she needed to touch the noodle with her nose in order to get a treat. Once that was done, I began touching different parts of her body and C/Ting. As she is a confident young filly, it wasn’t long before I was able to lay the noodle over her back.

I like to introduce all sorts of things to the young ones as a ‘sacking out’ procedure and yesterday was fun for us both.


9 comments:

  1. I should add that *Love will be 2 next month, and she is really living up to her name! She is (small plug) for sale, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure weren't kidding when you said *Love was a big girl!!!! GREAT work!!! I just love seeing posts from both you and Chuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of using a pool noodle for sacking out. What a great idea, Adria!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang on to that pool noodle, Adria! You might need it for an upcoming Mini contest! Lol. Susan, they use these noodles alot for obstacle courses..they are great! Love is DARLING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually need to pick up a few more noodles as I only have the 3. I use as many things as I can think of. Lately it is the hay bags that I use the most because they happen to be there. I've really been working on little Andi because she is MUCH more sensitive than her older sis was at the same age. Yesterday, I hit a milestone with her, in that I flipped the bag up onto her back, and although she flinched a little bit, she did NOT move away. She got a treat for it and lots of scratches and THEN she wouldn't leave me alone, lol!

    Lynn, can't wait for you to meet her, she really is big and she hasn't filled out yet. She's also still downhill. Thanks, Denise, she tries so hard to be a "good girl" and she really is a love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adria,
    I agree with Susan I love the noodle as a training tool....great idea. Love is big and beautiful{:>
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, great job! I bought tons of noodles in yellow and blue (Geitner), and when the winds are calm, it works! I love to see you working with your horse that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adria, funny you should mention meeting her. I will be attending the 2011 ABC Convention and am taking that entire week off. I was hoping to start the week at your place before going on to Betsy's ;-)) I also think you and Chuck (or just you) needs to go on a road trip to here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. Yes, Lynn, we do need to take a road trip. It will definitely have to wait until the horses are in the pastures again though. Winter time is so much more intensive in their care. Speaking of intense, need to head outside and take care of all that snow from our storm yesterday. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete