Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Back inside

After the big meltdown around here these past couple of days, my ring is a frozen bumpy mess!  I am so lucky to be able to go to my neighbor's indoor arena :)  I headed over there today with *Joe and after lunging him for a short time I rode him for about an hour.  We practiced our one rein stops from a walk and then a trot, and we did lots of leg yielding, which IMO is important to a soft and fun riding partner.  My decision to ride him at home in my ring for the past couple of weeks was obviously correct, he was really really good today - focused and really good to ride.  He is moving forward confidently and he feels more like a riding horse every day - what a good boy!  I will have to take the camera with me next time - it is such a nice arena and I think it is bright enough for photos.

I had time to work with *Flame today - I just worked with her at home.  The first thing that I did was take my junky old english saddle and put it on her back and let it fall off to see what she would do, I repeated this for both sides and also on her butt and her neck.  This is something I ALWAYS do at some point in my training - this is so that if "I" ever fall off, the horse hopefully won't panic and either kick me or run off.  Flame was so good - (you will like this Carrie!) if she could have rolled her eyes at me she would have - as if to say "What ARE you doing?!"  So, after that I thought I would put the western saddle on her - this is another thing that I do with every horse I train - I make sure to put a back cinch on them, a breast collar and then I will hang "dangleys" on them too, such as spare english girths or some thing else that will jingle and make noise and will also slap them all over the place, including the legs and rear end.  When I finally DO get on them, I don't want to be surprising them with my movements or touching them.  Well, I got the same response from her as I did with the saddle dropping off - she is just telling me to "get on with it" so after I lunged her (just a little in my bumpy frozen ring) I took her to my mounting block and stepped up and down in the stirrups (both sides, have to do both sides!)  - she really just doesn't care about any of this - what a really really good girl!  So once the weather clears the footing around here a bit I expect her training to really progress quickly - looking forward to it!

I also moved my Curly/Appy mare *Sheila Sister Act to one of the turnouts closer to my barn and more easy to access her - I am planning to continue her training now as well - stay tuned for some blogs about her soon!  Here are a couple of a recent pictures of her.

Shelly, Summerland, BC Canada
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

4 comments:

  1. After always training/riding Arabs and QH's I am so thrilled with the minds of Curlies. They just accept the task. Before I got mine I kept reading how easy they are to train and thought "well most horses are if you take your time" But really they are easier! Good luck with yours and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My she is beautiful! Is the white snow or her appy markings :)? I also start with the young ones to put ANYTHING on their back and walk that way, blankets, jackets ... so they get used to have something on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh, Shelly, I have a "junky old" Western saddle, and in fact have written about it a few times on this blog! It is not a pretty thing, but it serves its purpose.
    I am not generally a fan of blue eyes, but I must say that Sheila Sister Act's is quite strikingly beautiful.
    You are such a thorough and knowledgeable trainer; I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do find that my Curlies are pretty easy to train - but I don't have too many other horses to compare them to as I have trained Curlies almost exclusively!
    I will say though that three of my Curlies are half Arabians, Serenade, Joe, Cruise and I have a few that have a measurable amount of Arabian. Flame has quite a bit of Morgan in her. But through it all, I find the Curly disposition shines through. Some of these horses might be quicker to move their feet, but they don't move them very far, typical Curlies!

    Caren, what you are seeing there are Sheila's appy markings - she didn't have snow on her that day. She is my changeling - she is nearly white in the summer and goes back to bay with a bit of roan in the winter.

    Susan,
    I need a couple of junky saddles "just in case" LOL Isn't Sheila's blue eye cool? I find it striking and sort of alarming at the same time! She only has one, her left eye - which is also neat and weird lol.

    In my posts, I am trying to really share what I do to prepare a horse for riding and then some of the things that I do once I am riding them, to make them safe riding horses - I hope it helps a few people to know what I do.
    Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete