Sunday, January 30, 2011

Not as good as yesterday

Tygs' groundwork today went well, but I felt he was more anxious today and I'm going to chalk it up to I was trying to teach him something new. He did well, but I just felt he was more anxious. I tried to remember the "10" that someone posted earlier this month, so he didn't get more anxious. As we walked by the "scary mailbox" today I asked him to touch it with his nose and he did! No, Denise, I don't have pictures. I'm not that coordinated and my hubby is at work. Besides I don't think my camera will work in these cold temps. It was about 12 degrees today.

For our walk I chose the quarter mile trail again, but we went the opposite way around than what we did yesterday. He seemed more anxious and kept trying to get me to turn around to come back, which we didn't. We ended up doing alot of circles and backing up while we walked. He only shied once today and I think it was his shadow. Silly boy.

After much work I did get him to yield his front quarters today one step. He keeps wanting to back up, but we made progress today. I did walk him up to our front steps to the house and he didn't think nothing of it, so I'm going to attempt to find something to resemble a pedestal and my goal this week is to have him step up on it.

I have to share that this morning when I was on the back porch first thing and said "Good morning, Tygs," he answered me right away and came to the fence to see what I was doing. I've never had a horse do that and it made me feel like we're connected already and he's only been here two days. Happy Training! Janeen from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

6 comments:

  1. Wow, two days?? Sounds like he's making amazing progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep it up, Janeen. He is obviously bonded with his herd a bit so he will be a bit distracted. Just stay confident, steady and focused -- make sure you let him know YOU are there to take care of HIM. =] If you can be consistent for a good 30 days, you will be over the hump in understanding each other. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Janeen, consistency is the key. He sounds like he is tuned in to you and that will keep growing as you build your trust in him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good since he has only been at your place two days!
    Good luck and lots of fun with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just LOVE it when they whinny a greeting to you??! Welcome to the Curly world. I bet you are going to be a great trainer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janeen, you are bonding after just two days? Wonderful! Well mine are whinning as well but only when I come around with food or at least when they think I do lol! Just take your time. Real bonding takes some time and has ups and downs. But the starting is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete