Monday, January 24, 2011

Every day is a new day eh?

Tessa has had much of the last couple of years off - being pregnant and then raising her baby this year.  I have ridden her a few times, but she really needs some work to get her going well again so, on Friday I took Tessa to the indoor arena and did some lunging with her.  She was pretty good, settled in quite well and was lifting her back and looking great.

On Saturday Anastasia, my partner WSL and I decided to go for a ride in warm temperatures and sunshine - it was a nice day..... Tessa did not go very well for me - in fact, she was spooky, jumpy and difficult to ride and manage.  It bothered me quite a bit that she was so out of sorts and it sure wasn't they quiet trail ride that I was planning on!  When we got home Tessa was soaking wet and still anxious and so I put quite a bit of thought into this that afternoon - what had happened to my girl?  Well, I think I have to take at least 50% of the responsibility for her behaviour - I know very well that when a horse ups their energy level to that point that "I" need to drop mine an equal amount to help them through it - but I did not practice what I preach and she got more and more anxious.....

So today - I told Anastasia that we were going out again for another ride - and I was determined to keep my energy level low and easy going - to help Tessa have a better day.  It worked beautifully and we had a "really" pleasant ride on a very beautiful day :)  Anastasia took some pictures of me and Tessa - this is a funny one, it looks like we are both waving LOL.
This one is Tessa having a snack of winter bunch grass :)
This one is Tessa checking with me - she does this a lot -she is such a good girl most of the time!
And this one shows the incredibly nice day it was out today!  Enjoy, we sure did and I was so relieved that we had worked through this!
Shelly in Summerland
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

6 comments:

  1. Geesh, Shelly, I wish you had been on this blog before now, because your comments surely do resonate with me. For the past few years it seems I have had no trouble riding any horse except my own...but with help from God and good advice from many friends, I think we have finally made it through the jitters. Beautiful scenery! Keep the blogs coming, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, LOVE that last photo!! Vibrant and so serene! I wish I lived in BC too. =] I agree with Susan. So often we hear only good about our horses because we are so afraid to admit they aren't perfect! So hearing your story about Tessa was so cool and to hear you work through the process was awesome. The other day I was thinking how my life as a horse person has been such a journey...so much can't be taught..it is felt and experienced. When you are a high intense person like myself, bringing that energy down takes YEARS of practice and even then in high stress circumstances I find myself wigged out again. lol. But I was also thinking in learning that how much my horse has taught me! You start to maintain this confidence from INSIDE no matter what is going on around you. Which allows for an inner peace no matter where you are or who you are with. (intense people/big cities, heavy traffic, etc!) It can spread to all sorts of areas of your life. But anyway...I have also thought..."wow...if I had thought when I first got horses 15+ years ago that it would take me THIS long to "get it." I might have given up a long time ago! But it is a constant learning and I think as long as we are willing and able, and WANT to learn, God will show us everything we need to understand these amazing creatures! Like Susan, I feel so blessed to learn from all of you and grow day by day but never giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read a book by Mark Rashid called Whole Heart Whole Horse (it was a great book!). It was a lot of what I knew already, some new things that were great, but in it he spoke about energy levels needing to match..... This is something that I already knew, but he explained it in a clear way that can be very understood and reexplained to others. If we assume that combined energy for us and the horse must total "10", then if the horse brings an "8" to the ride/work, then we better only bring a "2" to compliment them. If we can do that then usually the horse will be able to lower their energy to a more manageable level and then we, the horse and the rider, can balance each other better.

    I hope that makes sense - it sure did to me!

    Denise - I know EXACTLY what you mean about being a high energy person - I am the same and it has been something of a handicap when working with horses - often I have to make myself take a deep breath and let it all go out taking the excessive energy with it or the horse can and will get more and more anxious. The difference between us and the horses is that we can "fake" relaxation and the horse can be benefited by it until we actually are relaxed. A horse cannot fake it - they react exactly how they feel at that moment and we have to give them what they need at that time.
    Shelly in Summerland
    www.curlystandardplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to get that book, Shelly. Isn't it something that when we read something like that we sorta go...Hummm...I knew this but somehow it was so enlightening. I've had that happen and when I reiterate it to someone else, they just look at me and go, "yeah, duh??" Lol. In many ways it sounds so simple and so basic, but taking it deep in your soul, working it out and having the horse respond is incredible. When Reese gets hyper, which isn't often, I used to think he was just trying to get out of work, (and sometimes he was =]) so I would get frustrated and that was only making our 10 a 20! LoL. Now I "Consider the horse" and decide..how can I work through this better and still teach a lesson without letting emotions for both of us get out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Shelly lovely impressions! So beautiful pics. You are right, horses are such a mirror. Today I was more relaxed because I slept well and long ... and Missi, my jumping frog, was just calm beside me, lowering her head and simply relaxed. Best Caren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the "10" concept. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete