Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Murray, Murray, Murray ...

My coming 6 (yes, Mary he's 6!!) year old curly gelding, Murray was a bad, bad boy on New Years.  I'd planned to ride him with the girls for the New Years ride but he was totally out of his mind that day.  He was just moved to that barn and just reunited with Emmy, *his* woman.  Yep, he's a gelding but ....  He doesn't really know that and Emmy is a horrible tease.  99.9% of the time he's fine, no problems with him leaving the herd or acting a fool.  New Years was the one time.  I ended up just putting him up and riding Emmy just because of the commotion.  I haven't really messed with him since.  So today was his turn.  I didn't ride him but he did get a long-lining lesson and a hoof trim.  I was too lazy to take him to the big barn to ride so I long lined him in front of the little barn.  Did him good to be away from the herd.  He was a perfect gentleman and did everything I asked of him.  Then I gave him a couple cups of alfalfa pellets and trimmed his bad foot.  He had an injury as a baby and has a split that grows down from the coronet band.  I have to stay on top of it trimming wise so it doesn't split too bad at ground level.  It's never been sore but I'm careful.  Normally he's a snot about that foot.  Seems working him first was a good idea.  He didn't give me much trouble.  I finally broke down and bought nippers so it was a quick fix. 

I spent some time with Simon tonight too.  A friend of mine has recently gone barefoot with her horse so I was helping her with him this evening.  While I did that, I tied Simon to the stall next to the crossties.  He was tied hard but with a quick release snap.  I haven't gotten an inner tube to really tie him to but he's only 6 months old, I don't think he's ready for that.  He fretted a bit not being the center of attention but when pawing didn't get him anything, he went hipshot and was fine.  He's got the most expressive face.  I swear he rolled his eyes at me.  I ended up running the rasp over his feet too.  He didn't need much.  He's *very* good about his feet (Thanks, Shelly).  He's also now going in and out of his run on his own. 

This weekend I hope to ride Moon, Murray and Emmy and start ground driving with Chrystal.  I hope my surcingle fits her!  I imagine I'll long line Sailor too.  Can't wait!!

3 comments:

  1. Carrie, please take somebody with you to take pictures! Can't wait to them! Best Caren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to see that expression too!! Glad Murray was such a good boy for you. A great idea to let him settle in first rather than push an issue where you knew you wouldn't get him focused well. Great job, Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - that is funny about Simon, Carrie - he certainly does have an expressive face and he will let everyone know how his world is LOL
    Shelly
    www.curlystandardplace.com

    ReplyDelete