Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunny Winter day

It was finally sunny out today. I got Phoenix out first and let him blow off some steam in the round pen. Then I got Sahara out and tied her up. She has a bunch of mud on her so I brushed her with a curry comb for a bit. She didn't like being tied up, I guess she needs more practice with patience. A friend came for a visit so I left Sahara tied up to learn patience. I showed my friend the curlies that I have. She was impressed with their curls, even their curly eyelashes. Sahara has a microcurl coat and it really reminds me of sheep's wool. Even the hair on her muzzle is crimped.

My friend wanted to see how Phoenix gaited so I put the line on him and taught him how to go around in a circle. He is learning nicely. He is still pretty heavy on my hand holding the rope but he will figure it out. On the line he did some nice gaiting, mostly a run walk.

When my friend left I went and got Tahoe out. I had Phoenix tied up along with Sahara so I added Tahoe to the tie rack. Tahoe and Sahara both need desensitization so I slapped my hands all over their back and shoulders till they stood still and were not alarmed by it. I played with their ears a bunch. Phoenix got the treatment as well. Then I got out my measuring stick and took their height measurement. Well, I got Phoenix's and Tahoe's. I don't really care what height Sahara is when she grows up but I care if my stallions are tall enough. Tahoe measured 13 hands and Phoenix is slightly above 13:2 hands. I am a little concerned that Phoenix won't get tall enough. He is 1 1/2 years old and I feel he should be taller by now. He is filling out now and his forearms look like they could grow some still so maybe he is a slow maturer. Tahoe is 8 months younger and is only 2" shorter so I am happy with Tahoe's height.

I left them tied while I did chores and then put them all up. Phoenix needs to learn to go ahead of me through a gate. The circling game will help with that.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Linda. I need to do more tieing while I do chores. That's a great exercise. Ultimate size is always hard to figure, isn't it? They say curlies grow til they are 7, so hang in there...they might sprout yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to practice the patience. I need to start to tie Voelie and teach her to stand still but I first need to speek to the land owner about adding a sturdy pole or something to tie her to! For now I just hold her and brush her without being tied but actually it would be good if she could stand tied! Thanks for the inspiration, it's now on my to-do list:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah patience. Some got it, and some really need to learn it. I am happy that my Sandor finally is getting more patient while I am cleaning his deep cut! It is a very important skill indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how many of your curlies are gaited? I will be in the market for a gaited stud in about 2-3 years! I have a gaited mare that I believe is micro-curl. I read that the coat is from the gaited lines. Not sure if it's true or not. Can't wait to hear more about these guys.

    ReplyDelete