Monday, January 10, 2011

Joe - January 10, 2011

I had a busy town day today - but managed to get out and work and ride with Joe again this afternoon before it got dark.  Today he was much softer - understanding the pressure of the side reins and seems to be accepting it.  When I got on we again did a lot of one rein stops and soft straight on stops, from both walk and trot - I am feeling a lot more confident that our brakes are working!  He is such a good boy - I am really enjoying this journey with him!  He was so much calmer today too - did not work up a sweat so no post ride blanket required!  I might give him tomorrow off - he could use a day to think about our work....

Shelly
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

3 comments:

  1. Super to hear progress with Joe, Shelly. I love this time of year when it's cold but you can get out for short intervals and still make headway in training. Thanks for training and showing great consistency!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly,
    Thanks for sharing your day with Joe. I love how you give your Curlies time to think and absorb the lesson. I agree the brakes are the first thing I check whether we have wheels or hooves{:>
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I would not understand your signs as I am ignorant to western riding! I love your description though. I will have a western ridden lady here in March, so I will have to learn that style of riding too! And thinking about work is great. My young ones have some weeks free every now and then to cope with all of these new impressions.

    ReplyDelete