Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cold Season

Happy Thursday everybody!

Monday was farrier day and I have to say my two Curlies were NAUGHTY!! Time for some extra ground work lessons. Cascade my palomino paint was a dream as usual (he's foundered so lots of farrier work on him).

Anyway... for about a week Abby was coughing while I rode her but it was a dry cough and no other symptoms so I thought maybe it was the hay. Nope! Sunday after our ride I noticed a little bit of snot on her nostril but not a ton. Well Monday as I take her into the get her feet done she had a 5 inch boogy hanging out of her nose. Just when I went to wipe it off with a towel she sneezed! The farrier was gagging and I was freaking out cause I thought it might be on me(it wasn't). Poor Abby... I had the vet visit and they think it's just a virus that turned into an infection. After 3 days of medicine she is feeling LOADS better.
So I didn't get to ride her as much as I'd like but we did do some arena work last night. She is slowly getting the muscles to gait solid for longer periods of time. We are only able to gait 1 long side of the arena before she losses it but it's progress. I am hoping to take her outside again this weekend!

A girl at the barn and I went on an actual trail ride Monday to the top of Black Hawk Park. Theo was the brave leader (although he was not being his nice calm curly self). We had to make a new path a few times and I ended up getting off to move some trees but we made it to the top. Once your on top into the park you can see for miles. It over looks the WI river too so it's really pretty this time of year. Next time I will bring a camera! On the way back down Theo was just fed up with going around the fallen trees and attempted to jump one but it had another 2inch thick branch right in front of it that was well over his head and right at my chest level. Luckily, I stopped him mid rear and redirected his attention to the path we took to go around it. Although I was laughing hysterically when it happened it really showed me how much Theo needs some good respect training. He's been lazy in the arena when I ride too and not listening to my leg aids. So Saturday morning that's what he is going to get!

Well until next time Theo, Abby, and Blaine!

4 comments:

  1. Glad Abby is feeling Better!!! Love how our curlies tell us what they are in need of when we listen! Looking forward to seeing picts from atop the park and hearig how Theo does Sat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi krissy, may i ask you a question, do you have special fitted shoes on over the winter? We dont over here in the uk, so we dont ride in the snow, but then again, were probably a load of wuzzies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah, I don't have shoes on my Curlies but my Palomino generally does. We put pads between the shoe and hoof so snow doesn't form in balls. Some people put clets on the shoes for the winter but I've never needed to. Theo is very sturdy in the snow and on ice but Abby is not to be trusted so I only ride where I know it's not slippery.

    ReplyDelete