Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sunday's Cold Ride to the Top with views



Zoe and I had so much fun on Saturday - we HAD to ride again on Sunday despite the chill.  It's off to the top of Mount Ephraim today - with Keri and Teasel. They are in a good mood after their hot breakfast and trot readily through snow trails and snowmobile trails, crossing brooks here and there --


Keri and Teasel traded lead spot on and off ..  some trail is deep snow -- some a snowmobile highway



 

And naturally - with it being a Sunday.. plenty of snow sleds out !
When we heard the buzz of engines - we stepped off the trail.. and I kept feeling like we were ruining their fun a bit as they were all slowing down cautiously --  but all friendly as I am not completely sure we are allowed to be riding on their trails in the winter. 
 

Just a few of the many we saw that day...  with the snow highway - we were able to trot and canter for most of the trip ..  much of it side by side -- except when Mister T plays his -- quick knock my partner off into the ditch.   Gotta love that guy :)  such a trickster - usually I can see it coming - but holding the camera with one hand up to my eye -- I am caught unaware... as he probably knew.











I did not take many photo's until we neared our quest. This is the view from about a third of the way .. from here, the snowmobile trail actually goes straight - we need to turn right UP the mountainside.





And it looks as though one brave soul has ventured up with his snow sled.. makes it a bit easier for us.











Whoops.. this guy is STUCK... apparently he noticed the tracks from a previous traveler and thought he could do it too... 







Half way views -- photo's just don't show how outstanding the views are... a quick video scene from here.
 
 
We are close now... 

Keri loses the lead .. steep trot up and she's feeling lazy now... come on Keri --


I know I keep saying we're almost there... and the trail just keeps winding up and up.... but truly.. this is it :)

Keri is feeling better now that the quest is in sight.. back in the lead :)







I have read that if you were raised by the ocean, your inner self also bonds well with a mountain top ... same ions in the air or something.  I love a mountain (as I was an eternally salt water resident as a child )  - and all of you who read my various TOP posts... you know I love a view :)  so bear with me as I present the views ....




Chillin' at the top -- even Keri is feeling appreciation for the beauty. 






My poor camera - three quarters frozen and always a foggy lens as I video along the trail and it gets knocked with overhanging snowy branches.  (or knocked by the T man, naughty boy )












Seems as though it's snowing off in that direction, you can barely see the big ski mountain.





We head down the other side -- which is a bit steeper... Keri is a big girl and leads the whole way.. a bit of slide on her haunches here and there... until we get back on the snow mobile wide trail for a quick trot and canter homeward.... the sun is low in the sky now



the woods have a more subdued light during a late winter afternoon.









the sun is setting behind us -  casting long shadows




What a superb trek !!  I can never decide -- during which season do I love this trail more ?  Fortunately I have the opportunity to experience the journey each quarter season fresh and anew :)

Enjoy ~

6 comments:

  1. Another beautiful ride! How long is it round trip? Do you blanket your Curlies after?
    Shelly, BC Canada
    www.curlystandardplace.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scenery! Teasel may be naughty, but the way he wags his tail sure is cute. Why is it that the less tail they seem to have, the more up-in-the-air they like to carry it? Guess there is less to weigh it down.
    I keep hoping some adventurous and kind soul would build those flat rocks back up again, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! Wow what a scenery. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wauw this is absolutly beautiful what a vieuw, and what a ride! Like the videos great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so amazing to see this - in Ok we don't drive cars or ride horses when it snows LOL
    Adena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great pictures! What a view :) My mum and I can relate with the snowmobile tracks that help "pave" the trail!

    ReplyDelete