Thursday, January 27, 2011

Still Cold, Still Riding




We are having some very cold temperatures here putting a 'damper' on our riding a bit. The heavens also have been dumping large quantities of snow with regularity - drat !!  Oh well.. this day - a quick trot between lessons and Zoe's meeting the bus for kids - we were cold but our eyes were treated to some beautiful wintry scenery. Today - we kept to the back road loops.




Elektra is Zoe's mount today... her stride is a bit longer than Keri's :)





Even out on the road and/or trail -- Elektra is always 'working' ..  she and Zoe continue to practice everything they learn in their lessons.








You can see how narrow the roads are becoming - more like snowy paths now..  when this truck passed us I thought maybe I was going to get caught on his side view mirror -- difficult to get out of the way in spots unless we want to step into huge snowbanks on the side of the road.





Here's a self portrait -  me and my lovely Keri.









despite the fact this is just a road trip -- it is beautiful.

Soon this back road will be lined with buckets catching maple sap.




 
we have a nice trot together

And I just have to add a few "views"
The branches are shimmering in the sunlight -
Just as pretty as a mountaintop in its own way :)
Boy - I love my horse and I love my saddle and I love getting out for a brisk trot :) 

Enjoy ~

8 comments:

  1. I am truly inspired by you! This is my first winter having an indoor arena in a long time but prior to this I just didn't ride in the winter. This contest and riders like you make me suck it up and go ride! I want to ride outside more on the weekends now too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad I have inspired you ! Sometimes it's difficult to get the gumption up to get ready and go out in the cold -- but it FEELS so good :) hope you do get out some just for the mood lifter - bummer about your trailer.. just one of the MANY reasons why I hire our rides to shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures as always, Betsy - just how cold was it? You must really love your mare - I hear a hint of what I know I sounded like about my mare Gracie....you are lucky to have her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures, some nice scenery you have there. What kind of english saddle are you using? Oh, and the self portrait was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning scenery - picture postcard quintessential Vermont back roads! I ALWAYS love your blogs and pictures. I definitely ride way more in winter now than I used to. You are right - it's so refreshing and breaks up those winter doldrums, especially when you love your horse like we do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely to be out riding in the snow. It does look narrow with all the snow on the sides!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK..Betsy and Zoe...would you PLEASE quit hogging all of the snow!! I love winter, live in Canada and you easily have twice as much as we do!! I'm hoping for a snow storm! lol. Seriously though, gorgeous pictures and I can't wait to meet you and visit your neck of the woods

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow such a wonderful blog! Thanks for that awesome pictueres! Oh I LOVE that ears shaking ;) Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete