Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A "Girls Only" Ride











Weather was windy and cold today...I was hoping it to be alot warmer so I could get a solid two hour ride in. I had planned to ride Shaneequah and pony Yodie to get some time in on both of them, but that didn't pan out; so, I opted to take a bareback ride on Shaneequah instead :)


Now, keep in mind that I haven't ridden bareback on her since this summer. She is a...interesting horse to ride bareback, to say the least. She has a really bouncy, extended trot, so the key is to keep her toned down to her shuffle or a little bit up from that.


She was being a little snot to catch (took about five minutes...it used to take me over a hour to catch her! So glad that she isn't influenced by our other "hard to catch" horses anymore) I brought her up to find that her one leather bridle had snapped :( It was a older leather one that I had gotten for $5, but still, kinda disapointing. I am just glad that it didn't happen out on the trail!


I put her in the sidepull and mounted up. I was able to take out the camera today (don't wanna do that when ponying a horse and riding at the same time lol) so we got some pictures. It was a "girls only" day today, just me, Shaneequah and our English Sheperd, Mo.


We haven't had alot of snow lately, so the footing is getting better and better. The cold temperatures has made it alot easy to follow the snowmobile trails as they are nice and firm. Being in the woods cut the wind by ALOT, which was nice.


Shaneequah seemed relaxed and content; I know when she is, because she does this soft, almost grunting sound. Very peculiar! She has always done this, which I take as a good sign :)


Hopefully I will be able to blog about another ride tommrow. Until then,






Emily, Shaneequah and Yodie

8 comments:

  1. Oh I simply love these pictures with ears left and right on the bottom! How old is Shaneequah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had an awesome ride. Is Tommot Mezen the sire of this mare?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job Emily!!! Glad you guys arent getting any snow...We got about three inches here last night!! My oldest curly ~ KAllie-girl does that sound!!! It reminds me of a kitty purr!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very good! Like your sidepull too.
    We had all day snow today and nothing said on the forcast AGAIN! they keep saying no snow and so far we had snow every day this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your are inspiring me to ride out side more! I use the excuse it's cold out but then I realize other people are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caren: Thank you, me too :) Shaneequah turned 13 this year, which I cannot believe lol

    Lynn: Yes, Tommot is the sire :) If I am understanding correctly, you have a horse by him as well? I only know of Two Dot being a sibling. Do you know what has gone on with Tommot or where he is? Last thing I heard he had a severe case of heaves...

    Krissy: Really?! That is so interesting...maybe it IS a Curly thing? My gelding Yodie does a deep sigh almost, like he has something wheezy going on.

    Marion: Thank you! Man, I know. They have said that too for us but right now we are getting almost no snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Twodot lives here! I don't know what became of Tommot. I saw him advertised perhaps 3 or 4 years ago but the owner would not separate Tommot from the appy gelding he was being sold with. I think we have the only two of his offspring. I've been told he was pretty miserable as a stud which is why his breeding career was (pardon the pun) cut short.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn, that is awesome! I have always wondered if I would run into the owner of Shaneequah's half brother...very interesting! I saw him advertised on EquineHits a while back and found out that he was the half-brother that I head heard about from Terri Sholberg. We always wondered why Tommot never had any other offspring; if he was unhappy as a stud, it would make since to cut him. I met him a while back (before we got Shaneequah) and he was a sweet guy. If you would like to email me to talk more about our guys, ShufflingAlong19@aol.com feel free to :)

    ReplyDelete