Monday, January 10, 2011

Ashley & Teke


Hi all, Denise Conroy here. I just HAD to share a bit about Ashley here on the blog to not only encourage us, but to encourage other youth that are in the RAC. I think she is quite the inspiration. (photo of Ashley and Teke) I spoke to her mom Lori a few times this past week and they don't have high speed internet and are unable to blog. She tells me stories about Ashley and her dedication not only to the contest, but to her 3 curlies, Zarina, Fei and Teke. Ashley is 14 years old and was a part of the RAC in 2010 and also rejoined for 2011. They live about 45 min. from me.

Ashley and Teke got Grand Champion in the May 2010 "curly and me" mini contest and the "curly promotion" Sept 2010 mini contest. She is displaying her prizes in these photos that Lori just sent me.

Not only did she participate in the RAC with incredible zeal, but her mom says she was out in the barn for as long as 10 hours a day...just working and playing with the horses and doing chores. She does all the work around the barn and even drives their tractor! What a go-getter and lover of horses!

She also does all her own logging. Everything is hand written, with lots of notes. =] Teke is her recent curly and she has done all of the training herself, even though she knew somethings when they first got her. It's been such a pleasure to help them find the 3 curlies they have right now. Zarina, used to be one of our old broodmares, Fei is a lovely gaited mare and Teke is about 8 years old I think. Teke was picked up by a neighbor at an auction and asked me if I knew someone in need of a nice curly mare. I put them in touch with Lori and the rest is history! She has awesome bloodlines and came with papers. She is the perfect horse for Ashley with tons of potential to do anything she wants to do.

I am hoping Ashley can post later this year and share more...but for now, I thought I'd share a little about her...I just get such a charge out of her ambition and spunk at such a young age!

6 comments:

  1. this is so great! Way to go Ashley it is in your blood.
    We hope to read more of your adventures with your Curly's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, I'm so glad you posted for Ashley. It is a joy to hear about horse crazy girls! Does she show? What does she like to do with her horses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, she has shown in Cheboygan County 4-H for years now in English; Western and even bareback. She is just as versitile as the horses that she rides. She is extremely deticated and I have loved watching her progress over the past six years that I have known her. Congratulations Ashley and Teke!

    ReplyDelete