Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pedestal training

Dear Reader,

  As some of you know, I had Penny's Lyle started by a trainer in late summer.  What I did not know until I brought Lyle home is that the trainer roughed him up and did not do a good job with breaking Lyle.  For that reason I have been re-starting Lyle.  He has been making good progress.  On Dec. 10 I stopped riding him because of the cold and the frozen ground.  Today I have re-started ground work with this gelding to prepare him for saddle work again.  Lyle and I have been working on pedestal training, as it is taught by Allen Pogue.  The reason is simple, Lyle needs a "safe place" or a "home base" to help him regain confidence.  The pedestal work gives him that safe ground.  It will also help Lyle to stand still for mounting.  After he came back from the trainer, he would run backwards when being mounted.  He and I had made good progress with that problem when I was riding him before Christmas.  But I wanted Lyle to be ever safe to mount.  That is why I am doing the pedestal work with him.  I want Lyle to be safe for any person to mount.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson and Penny's Lyle at Kootenai Curly Horses in Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA

4 comments:

  1. That's wonderful, Penny. Sounds like you and Lyle are making great progress. Nice that you can start riding again too. p.s. Thanks for putting your name and location at the end of your post! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Denise,
    Thank you. The Pedestal Training taught by Mr. Allen Pogue is really helping Lyle. I have especially enjoyed the look of peace and concentration that comes on to his face as we work with the pedestal and the various movements associated with it. (By the way, I am not using a real pedestal yet because Wayne has not yet built one. I am, however, using a low platform that is 7 or 8 inches in height. I am also using a sort of metal bridge that forms a low "v" and measures about 4 feet long. But these things do give a horse the concept of the "safe place."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice to read about his progress Penny. He is such a cute boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny,
    So sorry to hear about your bad experience with a trainer and KUDOS for not blaming Lyle and for working to build your relationship with him. I am going to go research the pedestal thing as I LOVE learning new training info. If I had a million dollars I would spend it all on training seminars and dvd's! LOL
    Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Ellen Southwell
    Bit-O-Wy Curlies
    Cheyenne, WY (WINDY WINDY WINDY!)

    ReplyDelete