Monday, January 24, 2011

Linus is a true Canadian

Although it is pretty hard to tell what Linus is mangling in these pictures...its an empty Tim Horton's coffee cup! He's a true Canadian and can't work without his "timmies" lol. I took these while we were out for a very chilly walk on Saturday. The last 3 days here have been brutally cold but I honestly don't mind it as long as I am dressed for it. Something about being out in weather that cold and being warm that I just love!


Linus and I have continued to spend the last week getting him used to being leaned on and feeling pressure in different places. He is, as usual, taking it all in stride. He's so curious about everything and I find that really helps when introducing something new to him.
We have also kept up our practice of hoof handling and neck reining in the bitless. I'm really hoping to soon get him harnessed again and at least go for a ground drive. We haven't hitched him for some time because the footing hasn't been good enough for it. He's doing so well lately with his manners. I can tell when he is going to act out before he actually does it. Which is really great for giving me chance to correct it before he really gets going.
Saturday when we were out I was of two minds whether to take him on the road, through the fields or into the bush...so I did a bit of all 3. We went up the road and around the corner. My Dad came out of a field on the 4wheeler then had to leave...not because it was bothering Linus but because Linus was trying to eat it! On the way back towards the farm...surprisingly still with spring in his step instead of the usual drag towards home, we went up the trail that borders our farm and cut across some bush and back up through the pasture the back way. Linus enjoyed the outing and even crossed the largest ditch on our property with only slight hesitation. He slowed up a bit. I stopped, rubbed his neck and told him he was a big boy and could handle it. Then once I started across, so did he. I can see so much more connection and trust between us now when we are out working. I just love my big red fella

7 comments:

  1. Yeah I understand that you love him! You are doing all the important things to him. He is sooo lucky to have you! Best Caren

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coffee cup comment was hilarious! Sounds like you're having fun with your boy :) Did you go riding or driving? And how old is Linus? (Sorry for all the questions!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, lookee here Donna, first you have Linus drinking beer, and now he is hooked on caffeine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anastasia, we were just out for a walk...working on manners. Linus will be 2 at the end of May.
    Don't forget that he loves cheezies too Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, he's just young! And already into caffeine, beer and cheezies LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheezies? Timmies? What language ARE we speaking, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can tell that the bond between the two of you is growing! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete