Friday, April 29, 2011

Almost the end....:(

Well, it's almost the end of the obstacle challenge and I'm actually a little sad about it! I was hoping to accomplish a little more than I did, but between work and the weather, it just didn't happen. I did get a couple more in tonight, one being the decoy. I can't believe I didn't think of this deer target sitting in our garage until now, but I got it out tonight. It was a challenge for Tygs, as I suspected. I set it up in the yard and then walked Tygs from the pasture to the yard. He seen it on the way and started breathing heavy even from a distance.
You can see in the first picture his shadow as he came closer. I was very pleased with how he approached it with me. He didn't stop at all, but approached with caution. Then he kept inching closer until he finally touched it. He didn't know what to think of the head and horns, so I finally touched it and then he decided to do that too.






Good boy, Tygs!







I also showed him bubble wrap tonight on a board. He wasn't real interested at first, because the deer caught his attention, but after I showed him the deer and he knew it wasn't alive, he showed interest in the bubble wrap. After I put my camera away and was grooming him, he actually tried to bite it and even stepped on it and much to my surprise had no reaction when the bubble wrap popped and the board cracked from his weight! Good boy, Tygs! Walking back to the pasture and the deer was on his left side, instead of the right, he did shy, so we repeated that walk again. He did fine. I got such a reaction from the whole herd about the deer target, that I decided to put it up by the pasture for them to look at and get used to. I don't know if I'll get anything else done tomorrow, but if not, good luck everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Janeen I don't think you should worry about what you didn't get to try...on the other hand you accomplished so much with Tygs!!! You two have come so far already!! Way to go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janeen,
    Donna is right. We all accomplished so much and our Curlies are all the better. I found out a lot about my Curly horses and areas I need to work more with them.
    Tygs is such a great horse and you can see the great progress you a making.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete